To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Question 4 the Inorganic Chemists

edited December 2006 in General
OK, Im wondering if there's an over the counter chemical/product to get crap off of silver without damaging actual silver...

If not... is there something I can mix up or wutever at home?

I got some.. um... newly acquired items to clean :tongue:

Comments

• edited December 2006
    There is but I dunno what it's called... brasso?
  • edited December 2006
    There's a special silver polish you can get that will remove the oxidation, but blasted if I know what it's called.
  • edited December 2006
    I think some of the stuff on it isnt oxidation... but like stuck on mud and shit like that...

Also... since we're here anyway... is there a way I can determine the composition of it without chipping a piece off? One of them is lookin lik sounds lik silver, weighs the same as silver (roughly) but doesnt look like it... because it's from lik 200 yrs ago... but the details of it is too fresh -_-"
  • edited December 2006
    If you know someone who can do X-ray analysis, they can just stick it in and tell you what's in it... more or less.

Other than that the tests I know of are either (a) destructive and/or (b) expensive (eg. neutron activation analysis :tongue: )
  • edited December 2006
    @@... u think u can sneak me into the lab ur using???? XD (since ur a grad student u must do some sort of research :tongue:)
  • edited December 2006
    I think thats more of a question for a "handyman" than an inorganic chemist ahha
  • edited December 2006
    TiNgLu_SiNgH said:
    I think thats more of a question for a "handyman" than an inorganic chemist ahha
    well handymans wont know how the work the machine... an inorganic chemist in that field will :tongue:

Leave a Comment