To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Christmas Shopping!

2»

Comments

• edited October 2009
    lol all this talk about shopping i ended up buying a pair of TR's last night at 2 in the morning after my late night midterm.

try shades of greige, specifically this one? simple but looks sharp.
    http://www.revolveclothing.com/DisplayProduct.jsp?product=SHAD-MS140&c=Shades+of+Greige&d=b
  • edited October 2009
    ^Shades of Greige runs one large. If you're a Large, get a Medium.

(I bought a pair yesterday too :D)
  • edited November 2009
    Sometimes I think I'm the only person who thinks spending over $100 on one article of casual clothing is ridiculous.

I can understand with suits or a winter jacket or something, but even just a hoodie that's kinda insane.

Then again, with that brand you can't expect anything less.
  • edited November 2009
    oh believe me, you're not the only one.
  • edited November 2009
    Desolate;61931 said:
    Sometimes I think I'm the only person who thinks spending over $100 on one article of casual clothing is ridiculous.

I can understand with suits or a winter jacket or something, but even just a hoodie that's kinda insane.

Then again, with that brand you can't expect anything less.
    there are dudes on this forum who buy 200 dollar jeans :omg:

i'm not one of them, just pointing it out :smile:
  • edited November 2009
  • edited November 2009
    200? I don't think I've spent more than 60 on a pair of jeans before myself.
    And yeah, I agree that the sweater looks nice. I wouldn't spend that much for it, but like I said, some brands you have to expect to pay a fair amount more for.
  • edited November 2009
    I can understand situations where they're selling uniquely designed items, like coats, and shirts. You can't exactly go to the next store and buy the same thing (well, sometimes you can). But for hoodies and jeans? I don't know.

In my opinion, spending an extra $150 is not going to improve the style, material, or design SO significantly that it's worth the cost. Some people clearly think otherwise, or these brands wouldn't be in business.
  • edited November 2009
    Ether;61939 said:
    I can understand situations where they're selling uniquely designed items, like coats, and shirts. You can't exactly go to the next store and buy the same thing (well, sometimes you can). But for hoodies and jeans? I don't know.

In my opinion, spending an extra $150 is not going to improve the style, material, or design SO significantly that it's worth the cost. Some people clearly think otherwise, or these brands wouldn't be in business.
    those people are known as brand whores. :tongue:
  • edited November 2009
    Sweater looks good, but i agree with what these guys are saying. I would spend the money on something like a watch, sunglasses, or a nice casual jacket.
  • edited November 2009
    no offense nicole.. but that hoodie looks pretty plain to me.. and unless the quality of the fabric justifies the price i wouldn't suggest you getting it.. which really doesn't.. considering it's 65% polyester and 35% cotton..=\
  • edited November 2009
    None taken! To be honest I've only ever purchased business casual clothes for him so I have absolutely no idea.
  • edited November 2009
    Why don't you just buy a gift card for Metrotown or something and go help him pick out some casual clothes at various stores? Make a day of it.

Unless he really hates shopping.

But I'd say you'd probably find nice clothes for way less money, and then you can guarantee he'll like it and it'll look good. There's no sense paying that much for a hoodie unless you really want the brand names.
  • edited November 2009
    Loves shopping but a gift card just seems so impersonal. He doesn't wear cheap clothing so something a little more expensive just makes sense.

He literally only owns one hoodie...and wears it all the time when he doesn't have to be in a suit. The problem is I just have no idea what brand it is. I guess it would be weird to e-mail his mom to see if she knows...he doesn't have sisters...grr.
  • edited November 2009
    It's impersonal, but made slightly more personal by going along with him to use it. But if he's into the expensive stuff, then whatever.

Try to sneak a look at the tag. "Want a back/neckrub?" :P
  • edited November 2009
    ^hahaha.. i second that back/neckrub.. :thumbs_up:
  • edited December 2009
    Does anyone have any ideas for a gift that would represent Canada? Or BC? Or perhaps something hand-made?

I was thinking of those totem pole models they have in Gastown. But those are so costly.
  • edited December 2009
    those wool jackets they have for the olympics are actually pretty nice, or you can get a carbon fiber olympic torch for $400.
  • edited December 2009
    Agentbob;61963 said:
    Does anyone have any ideas for a gift that would represent Canada? Or BC? Or perhaps something hand-made?

I was thinking of those totem pole models they have in Gastown. But those are so costly.
    if you're willing to make the drive, YVR has a gift store with a ton of goofy canadian gifts that tourists buy.

maple syrup in leaf shaped bottles. totem poles, scarfs with canada on it, etc.

you get the picture.

smoked salmon is a pretty good one, or bc ice wine.
  • edited December 2009
    Hey,
    Finished, but my wife and I didn't have a lot of gifts to pick up and most of it was done online because they had to be sent across the country anyway. A few of the gifts around here ended up being framed prints anyway so they were a joy to do... nothing like a little shameless self promotion around the holidays...

Leave a Comment