To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

What motivates you?

edited November 2006 in General
One of the most frequent questions I get asked by my non-university friends is how I stay motivated to study. If I had a complete answer to that question, I'd be a rich man! I believe one of the keys is having some goals to attain. That may sound simple but some people have lower goals to meet than others and hence less motivation...

Maybe I can't fully answer the question for you, but you can answer it for yourself. What can you find that will motivate you to study for your classes?

Comments

• edited November 2006
    I don't want my kids (in the future) to live in poverty therefore I work hard enough to obtain a good job and salary.
  • edited November 2006
    I'm the first one in my family to go to university. I've fought my ass off to get this far so I want to do the best I can.

Earning something is very good motivation...
  • edited November 2006
    greed and lust... lol
  • edited November 2006
    i get motivated to do good at school because i cant accept failing (some ego thing heh)
    and it cost a lot of f'in money which im kinda low on these days
    family reasons
    security blanket
    self improvement
  • edited November 2006
    oooh for school... didnt really read that part... LOL

um... for school... well... since im Asian... i live at home... and leech off of my parents... my motivation in school is to stay in school and leech of parents for as long as i can while i try saving up (the money i make at work) to do some business of my own later on...
    kinda weird... but it works :p
  • edited November 2006
    I would definitely say that I'm motivated by my quest for knowledge. As boring and unfulfilling as that may seem to some people, the more things I learn, the more my mind expands. By understanding life and the people around me, it allows me to help them and make their lives easier...thats all the motivation I need.
  • edited November 2006
    Network opportunities and parents..

Personally, I don't find any motivation for school..cuz I find it pointless..especially in what I'm planning to go into..business.
  • edited November 2006
    Steven said:
    Network opportunities and parents..

Personally, I don't find any motivation for school..cuz I find it pointless..especially in what I'm planning to go into..business.
    NETWORK!!! that's the word...

Quite honestly I find that when Im at uni the most I've learned is not from wut they teach in school...

so business ei? we should get to know each other... heh... heh... heh...
  • edited November 2006
    my motivation is that i'll one day be able to seek my passion for something in life, whether it's through university or not, i'm still going at it.

i didn't have much motivation back in high school. i wasn't one of those kids who thought they were too cool for school, but i just couldnt gain much enthusiasm for such mediocre subjects back then, you know? i didn't see the use of the things i was learning, well, other than to gain a basic knowledge of the world we live in...but that you can do by living life too.

but now i'm here at sfu, and i'm enjoying it =) i'm balancing schoolwork and social life better than i thought i would.
    i'm already discovering things that i never knew i was good at too...
  • edited November 2006
    Luxferre said:
    NETWORK!!! that's the word...

Quite honestly I find that when Im at uni the most I've learned is not from wut they teach in school...

so business ei? we should get to know each other... heh... heh... heh...
    lol sure..and i agree with you on the fact that most things i've learn is not from wut they teach in school..

like really.. i think most of the things i learn in school will stay in school.. if it wasn't for my parents, i wouldn't want to be in school right now.. I have way better things to do rather than donate money to the university. The only other thing that actually keeps me in school is the networking opportunities.. its nice.. but not good enough because I'm being introduced to them as a student rather than a potential business partner..

Leave a Comment