To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Your Favorite City

edited November 2006 in General
Whats your favorite city that you have been to? I have been obsessed with London, England ever since i got back from my vacation there this summer....i cant wait to go back!! I also really like Adelaide in Australia, but not nearly as much as London.:cocktail:

Comments

• edited November 2006
    I haven't been very far from home yet, but thus far Portland, Oregon is my favourite!

It's such an amazingly friendly place that has a small-town feel to it. It's very quiet and mostly very clean (depending on where you go) and is so nice just to wander around. Their Saturday Market is also awesome! As well as Powell's Books. And they have signs that say "Skateboard Route This Way" instead of "No Skateboarding". I don't skateboard, but it just goes to show how nice they are there!
  • Pro
    edited November 2006
    Malakaiii said:
    I haven't been very far from home yet, but thus far Portland, Oregon is my favourite!

It's such an amazingly friendly place that has a small-town feel to it. It's very quiet and mostly very clean (depending on where you go) and is so nice just to wander around. Their Saturday Market is also awesome! As well as Powell's Books. And they have signs that say "Skateboard Route This Way" instead of "No Skateboarding". I don't skateboard, but it just goes to show how nice they are there!

you forgot to mention they don't have any sales tax as well!
  • Pro
    edited November 2006
    i think my personal favourite that suprised me is montreal. it's so different from what you think a normal canadian city is like. it's almost as if you're in another country but yet you're still in canada
  • edited November 2006
    Vegas BABY
  • edited November 2006
    Pro said:
    i think my personal favourite that suprised me is montreal. it's so different from what you think a normal canadian city is like. it's almost as if you're in another country but yet you're still in canada
    Montreal is a beautiful city, I've been there many times, and I know what you mean, you just get a different feeling walking around Montreal...but the drivers are crazy assholes. Quebec City has the same sort of feel as well, although I think I like Quebec City better, because of the more historical feel you get from walking around the old part of the city.

I haven't really travelled around too much, so I can't really decide on favorite. I've been quite a few places in Canada, that's about it. Born in Fredericton, New Brunswick, moved to Toronto, lived there till this year, and I moved here by myself for school.

The maritime cities are great if you just want to get away from hectic city life. But a warning, there's not much to do out there other than sight-seeing.
  • edited November 2006
    I love T dot!
  • edited November 2006
    Paris, France. Barcelona, Spain, Prauge, Czech and Krakow, Poland.
  • edited November 2006
    i'm a city girl (but enjoy my occasional gulf island getaways in BC).
    I love Paris, i definitely want to go study/work abroad there some time when i get out of school.
    or Florence, small city feel to it, sort of like Vancouver, but the former Italian capital has so much history to it, and it definitely is the art capital of europe, if not the world.
  • edited November 2006
    ive been to places in japan, australia, new zealand, thailand, when i was a little kid, so i dont remember much of it and id love to go back someday

as for cities, i love to go back to hong kong, because its my hometown and theres lots to do : )
  • edited November 2006
    Taipei man... best food, best parties, best nightclubs period.
  • edited November 2006
    oh and i would like to add this small town in Japan. I mean i went to Osaka, Hiroshima, Himeji, and Tokyo of course--which was cool and all...
    but about 2 hrs away from Osaka, I stayed in this small town called Ikuno-cho for two weeks. it was GORGEOUS. hidden in the mountains, and i was there during the spring festival, so each neighbourhood has a shrine, and drummers sit in it, and the residents carry the shrines around the streets, chanting and downing sake! it was so much fun!!! i loved it.
  • edited November 2006
    Munich
    -very clean
    -very efficient subway
    -Oktoberfest
    -nice parks
    -nice museums
    -nice shopping malls and outlets
    -Oktoberfest
    -friendly people
    -Oktoberfest
    -great architecture