To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Can Books be better than TV?

edited December 2006 in General
^can it?.....I mean i always give them up to watch some special program, but would you rate them higher then watching TV?

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Well, a book has the conveniance of being able to pick up whenever, and wherever you are. So although I would rate books higher, I will put down a book if theres somthing on Tv I want to watch.
  • edited November 2006
    It depends on what kind of mood you are in. Watching TV is more passive than reading, so if you just want to slouch and stare, it's a good choice.

But at least if you are reading a book you don't have to watch damn commercials and you don't find yourself reading something you really dislike because it's all you have (how many times have you watched a stupid TV show because it's all that's on?!)

I canceled my TV a few years ago and I will never pay for cable TV again. I read about a book a week, and watch a ton of movies. My time is better spent!
  • edited November 2006
    They have books now?
  • edited December 2006
    Books if you want to get smart. But I do find myself enjoying good reads simply because I want to.

TV if you want entertainment. Satellite all the way!!!
  • edited December 2006
    Five highly entertaining books that probably don't make you smarter:
    -Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (he wrote Fight Club)
    -The Beach by Alex Garland
    -The Contortionist's Handbook by Craig Cleavenger
    -Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
    -Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood
  • edited December 2006
    I used to read all the time but I don't have time anymore... tvs so much easier no?
  • edited December 2006
    But a book fits in your pocket while you are waiting for the skytrain or a bus or a class to start!

Come ON people. :wink:
  • edited December 2006
    Has anyone read the "The Giver" by Lois Lowry... one book which definietly influenced my way of thinking as a kid
  • edited December 2006
    Yeah! That's an awesome book and quick to read when you are an adult. There is also a sequel called Gathering Blue which wasn't as amazing, but still a good read.
  • edited December 2006
    :O Really?! I gotta get that I had no idea. Is it a continuation or is it a seperate story all together? Thanks again
  • edited December 2006
    It's a separate story that's sort of connected. There is a different main character, a girl.

Here it is at Amazon.ca
  • edited December 2006
    books are way better, they keep ur mind stimulated... cuz usually ur imagining the story in ur head too.. plus readin makes u a better writer
  • edited December 2006
    Reading definitely makes you a better writer across the board.

Leave a Comment