To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Age difference for couples

edited January 2007 in General
How much older does a man have to be than the woman to be considered too old and not normal age difference for a couple?

In my perspective it's 1 to 5 years. I mean if the guy is 30 years old dating a 25 years old, that is still viewed normal. But 6-7 is starting to stretch it. 8 years difference makes it look like the guy is already 10 years her senior.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    The reason I've been thinking about this is because of rampant infidelity and divorce in the West. The number one reason for infidelity is man having an affair with a much younger (usually more beautiful) woman.

One of women's greatest fear is that her man will leave her for someone younger and more 'fresh'. Think about it. A man age 42 can replace her 40 year old woman for another woman half that age. That might be too much but the point is, a 42 year old man still get a 30-34 year old woman which is A LOT younger than 40 year old. Less wrinkles, more attractive, better sex, better body, etc.

So my view is this, a woman can solve this by dating men that are older than her (but not too old). If she's 19-21, she should date a 29 year old guy. Stay away from guys near her age who would someday cheat on her for a younger woman. But the older male will stick to her younger wife. A 19 year old girl dating a 29 year old guy will not have to worry when she turn 29 and her man almost 40. There wont be another woman because SHE IS that 'other' woman. The young, the sexy, the fresh woman that a man (who has a spouse near his age) want.
  • edited November 2006
    you cant put a definite age on these things

say im 18 now. and you say 5 years is ok. i wouldnt date a 13 year old. probably lowest would be 16
  • edited November 2006
    hmm.. that is a thoughtful suggestion smartso.. but if men want to cheat.. there are plenty of fishes in the sea.. always younger and fresher.. so dating an older man won't neccessarily secure a relationship.. same thing with women who cheat.. bottom line is.. when there's a will there's a way.. if someone wants to cheat they will eventually find a way to do so.. =)

there isn't an age difference.. a close friend of mine is dating a 40 year old and she's just in her early 20's... crazy?? yeah.. i would say so myself.. but they've been going steady for a year now and things are looking great.. in fact she's moving in with him in december.. in a way.. i'm happy for her but i wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't last.. after all.. nothing does..

relationships come and go.. are you satisifed to just be the normal? afterall.. what is the norm and how is it defined? =) some food for thought..
  • edited November 2006
    lol siuying ur so pessimistic...
  • edited November 2006
    lol i agree wit suiying, theres no cure for keepin ur man from cheating.. u jus gotta look for the good ones and keep him happy..

i also dont think guys cheat to get a hotter woman, well guys our age usually cheat because the other girl is prettier and hotter but i think when ur a married man around ur 40s, sure that stuff could draw u in but usually at that point in ur life, those guys cheat because something deeper is lacking in the relationship, ie. theres no communication in their relationship anymore, or their life seems boring and they want excitement cuz maybe the wife stopped caring too...
  • edited November 2006
    i think it all depends on maturity level and stages of life, if ur both at the same level and stage in life then it doesnt matter what age u are... say ur a 30 year old guy but still act like ur 20 and feel as healthy as a 20 year old and those 30 year old women bore u to death then i think its ok for him to go for a younger girl.. i mean if ur not in check together that way then ur never gonna be compatible...who knows u could get bored of ur older man when hes grown up faster than u and all he wants is to relax at home and retire, while ur still 40 and want have fun outta life...
  • edited December 2006
    Luxferre said:
    lol siuying ur so pessimistic...
    haha.. so i've been told.. =P but i enjoy it nonetheless.. there is a need for people like us to keep the optimists around..=)
  • edited December 2006
    Anyone heard of the "half plus seven" rule? I used to hear it all the time, but not so much no more. Just as a generality, you shouldnt go out with someone outside of 1/2 your age + 7 years. I guess it works ok if you're around your 20's or 30's.

ie: 20 year old guy = (20/2)+7 = 17 year old girl.
    30 year old guy = (30/2)+7 = 22 year old girl.
  • edited January 2007
    Interesting topic...

When i was 16 I dated someone who was 25 and after a year he cheated with a 18 year-old. I gotta agree with siuying that if someone is gonna cheat he/she will cheat anyway. yeah.. at the age of 16 was kinda young, when most of my friends heard the news they were disgusted and strongly against my relationship. But after a couple of years they, too, dated guys who are 7-12 years older than them.

It's still better for man to be a little older than the woman because to my experience men can be more attractive as they age. But for women it's the opposite.

Leave a Comment