To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

lg chocolate phones

edited December 2006 in General
does anyone know approximately when the white lg chocolates are coming to canada?? i really want it...

Comments

• edited November 2006
    From what I heard, most likely after the Christmas season, and probably only with Rogers or Fido. The Telus branded ones are a different design.

Personally, I don't really like the look of the white ones though, cause the "buttons" are kind of visible, instead of like the black one, where you can only see the buttons when they glow red. Guess it's just personal preference though.

If you really wanted the white one, they don't go for too much at cell phone shops these days. Check www.cellworldco.com . They generally have the lowest prices on overseas phones. The only thing you miss out on is the 850mhz, which makes a slight difference in reception.
  • edited November 2006
    are they actually reliable phones though because i dont have much experience in LG phones.
  • edited November 2006
    i have the unbranded one.

and the complaint i have is the battery life is horrible!!!!
  • edited November 2006
    LG phones usually are pretty well made. My suggestion would be to stay away from Motorola and Sanyo phones. From my experience working in the cellular business, those are the phones that come back most often for repairs.

But for the most part, it just depends on luck. I've seen some really well made phones just crap out. Sometimes you just get a lemon. In that case though, most phones you buy have a 1 year warranty anyway.

The only gripe I have with the Chocolate is the touch sensitivity of the buttons. Yes, it's a damn cool feature, but the responsivity takes a while to get used to. You can change the sensitivity, but even still, you'll be battling with that phone for a while.

Other than the style of the LG Chocolate, I can't think of another reason to get it, especially with the variety of phones out with much better features for a comparable price.
  • edited November 2006
    my E1 ROKR motorola has been great. drops plenty. fell in the toilet once and works 100%.

but the LG k800 (correct?) is mainly the style. not like the camera is good either just a mere 1.3 megapixels.
  • edited November 2006
    KG800 overseas, TG800 here in Canada. Same phone.

LG is, however, coming out with a bunch of variations of the Chocolate (a la Motorola with the hundreds of RAZR-type phones). Don't know if they're coming out here, but you can purchase them unlocked for sure. The newer models just have more features.
  • edited November 2006
    Magnificent_Bastard said:
    LG phones usually are pretty well made.
    On the contrary... I quite hated selling LG fones when we had them in stock (i work at fido) Of the time I've been working, 90% of the OTC exchanges have been done on LG fones.

However, I do agree with you with the fact that with brands such as LG, Moto, and sometimes even SE it's hit or miss. I generally dislike selling Motos, but mine has been great even after the abuse it goes through... :angel:
    KG800 overseas, TG800 here in Canada. Same phone.
    Not quite. One is the CDMA version the other is the GSM version...
  • edited November 2006
    LG fone suck ass... Their only selling point with the chocolates is its sleek and sexy style which the girls are going to love. Basically, this is their answer to the success fo the razr phone but I hate Lg... hey M_B what do you think of the samsung D900? I have my eye on that right now

P.S. Your sig is HILARIOUSS
  • edited November 2006
    Luxferre said:

Not quite. One is the CDMA version the other is the GSM version...

Errr...no, they're both GSM versions

KG800
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_kg800-1533.php

TG800 - Rogers version
    http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wireless/products/phones/products_details.asp?shopperID=QKBCJQDPTVCS9HE5KHB9JK0P6BSMF3N4&PRODUCTID=TG800R&summary=1

The only difference between the two is that the TG800 is a localized version of the chocolate, so it's Rogers branded, and it has 850Mhz.

The Samsung D900 is a pretty decent phone. For some reason, I haven't been liking many of the phones Samsung has released recently though. I've always liked the fact that Samsung generally makes reliable phones though (at least from my experience), so in terms of quality, I don't think you'd have to worry about it. It has some nice features, such as the 3.15MP cam, and the thin style. Plus, it's a quad-band, so you'll get good reception.

I personally like Nokia, myself. I picked up a Nokia N80 not too long ago. It's quite a bit bigger, but I prefer bigger phones, just so I know it's in my pocket, ie. harder to lose =P
  • edited November 2006
    I agree with MB, I prefer Nokia's... not only because I'm from Finland :P

But the response time for Nokia is really good compared to other phones. Samsung is not bad in it either, but I haven't seen a phone beat nokia yet. There's nothing I hate more than slow phones.
    I currently have a samsung D500, and it's okay, but I'm gonna change it back to a nokia soon...

As for the chocolate, I dont recommend getting it. N.A/rogers has been kinda slow with coming out with it, so by the time it does come and you get it, it wont even be that new anymore. Also, LOTS OF FINGER PRINTS...
    The technology and idea of it is great, but the amount of finger prints it leaves behind is just crazy and turns the phone totally ugly :(

Anyway, good luck everyone in finding their phone :P
  • edited November 2006
    Errr...no, they're both GSM versions

KG800
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_kg800-1533.php

TG800 - Rogers version
    http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wireless/products/phones/products_details.asp?shopperID=QKBCJQDPTVCS9HE5KHB9JK0P6BSMF3N4&PRODUCTID=TG800R&summary=1

The only difference between the two is that the TG800 is a localized version of the chocolate, so it's Rogers branded, and it has 850Mhz.
    Ha dayam... u r a magnificent bastard... lol... ok that jus shuts me up
    i wonder wut the designation for the CDMA version is then >.>
  • edited November 2006
    I believe the CDMA version is the LG 8500, with variations in that model number according to carrier. The Verizon Wireless one, for example, is LG VX8500.

Plus it's easy to tell which is which, cause the CDMA Chocolate is quite a bit thicker, and has a round directional pad and the GSM Chocolate has a rectangular pad.
  • edited November 2006
    ... am I the only one who thought that this thread was about phones made out of chocolate?
  • edited November 2006
    hahaha thats what they want you girls to think so youll BUY IT
  • edited November 2006
    I believe the CDMA version is the LG 8500, with variations in that model number according to carrier. The Verizon Wireless one, for example, is LG VX8500.

Plus it's easy to tell which is which, cause the CDMA Chocolate is quite a bit thicker, and has a round directional pad and the GSM Chocolate has a rectangular pad.
    yah I hate how they have the "model name" and then the "model number"... the world would be less complicated if only one of them exists... bur ur rite... the CDMA version is the LG8500...
  • edited November 2006
    my personal principles continue. no LG phones.
  • edited November 2006
    TiNgLu_SiNgH said:
    hahaha thats what they want you girls to think so youll BUY IT
    it's kinda sick wut Telus' slogan for the fone is... "melts in ur ears... not in ur hands..." first time I saw that I was imagining ACTUAL chocolates meltin in my ears... *shivers* not cool...
  • edited November 2006
    it was called the chocolate phone because the original chocolate phone from korea actually smelled like chocolate.
  • edited November 2006
    talula said:
    it was called the chocolate phone because the original chocolate phone from korea actually smelled like chocolate.
    ewww... i can so imagine the following senerio happening on me if i had a fone like that...
    *as im ending ur conversation on the fone*
    "Yah man, I'll smell you later!.... um... i mean see u later..." >.>
  • edited December 2006
    Yo

I am currently looking for a new phone so I thought this would be a good place to ask, I currently have a Motorola V710. At the start this was a great phone, lots of features and a nice, big screen. But now I am not satisfied at all. The camera doesn't even work in low light, and still its a really bad camera, and the battery doesn't even last a day, I can maybe make two 20 minute calls before I have to charge it again, ridiculous. Also, some of the metal on the front of it is peeling off, it looks like a cheap dollar store thing or something. The one thing I do like about this phone is that it has amazing reception, I can get reception almost anywhere, in my basement, on top of mountains, in many places where other people with phones cannot. But I am still looking for a new phone, one with lots of features, size doesn't matter (no pun intended), basically a good phone with all the features that WORK. Suggestions?
  • edited December 2006
    I think any Samsung phone will do all that and more. I've always liked Nokia for their durability and simplicity, and Samsungs for their style and usefulness
  • edited December 2006
    how much r u willing to pay for a fone?
  • edited December 2006
    Well, if you have the Motorola V710, I'm guessing you're with Telus. In that case, you don't have much of an option of getting a new phone, since you're limited to whatever selection Telus currently offers. In their line-up right now, I would suggest the Nokia 6265i, probably the best features of any Telus phone right now.

Other than that, if you're not looking to spend too much, buy a Pay&Talk phone, and switch over to that. It's considerably cheaper. If you're thinking about the Pay&Talk, let me know. I currently work for a Telus dealer, and I can get you a discount on the handset itself; not so much for the regular phones. Unfortunately, Telus sucks in general. I'm just too lazy to find another job working for Rogers or Fido again.
  • edited December 2006
    ^ i agree. that phone is as sexy as it gets for telus

plus nokias are the most durable cellphones out there...in my opinion at least. great reception, long battery life, and it's stylish as well.
  • hta
    edited December 2006
    I hate cellphones because they cause health problems such as brain damage from electromagnetic waves. I dont have a cellphone cuz I cant afford them. Also, I dont plan on getting one either. I think too many individuals are obsessed with the latest so called phones. I can live without cellphones thanx.
  • edited December 2006
    I currently work for a Telus dealer, and I can get you a discount on the handset itself; not so much for the regular phones. Unfortunately, Telus sucks in general. I'm just too lazy to find another job working for Rogers or Fido again.
    U guys get discounts on handsets? :angry: o man... since old man teddy took over all we've been gettin is CRAP >.>

Bleh... at least I hope the pay is good enuff to cover for it... >.>

btw... is it because the system wont recognize Non-telus IMEI or is it because of some other freak reason u guys cant put fob fones on ur network?
  • edited December 2006
    Telus operates under a CDMA network, and only recognizes ESN numbers that are in their system. So, GSM phones won't work right off the bat.

There is a method called ESN cloning, where you can make the provider think that you're using one of their phones, by cloning the ESN onto an overseas CDMA phone, from Korea, for example. It's pretty expensive, from what I understand, and it's hard to find somebody who can do it. The Korean CDMA phones are definitely cooler though, but most certainly not worth the money/time/effort that goes into cloning.
  • edited December 2006
    Telus operates under a CDMA network, and only recognizes ESN numbers that are in their system. So, GSM phones won't work right off the bat.
    gsm phones will never work on telus. incompatible technology.

personally i'd stay away from samsungs, or at least their slim sliders. i've heard the screen breaks really easy.
  • edited December 2006
    thedon said:
    gsm phones will never work on telus. incompatible technology.

personally i'd stay away from samsungs, or at least their slim sliders. i've heard the screen breaks really easy.

Yeah, that's what I meant by my comment, guess I worded it incorrectly. It's odd, because some of the Telus phones have SIM slots in them, probably cause the cell companies are too lazy to completely redesign the board and housing. I've heard that the Nokia 6265i can be flashed with new software to make the SIM slot functional.
  • hta
    edited December 2006
    Like I said cellphones cause brain damage from electromagnetic waves. Dont u idiots know that? Fine, be that way. Go ahead and use your phone. I hope u get brain cancer and maybe die. I'm glad I'm not using cellphones.....LOL

Leave a Comment