To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Are Canadian Citizens who Apply to Schools in the States International Students?

edited November 2006 in General
Hi I am interested in applying to schools in the States. I am a Canadian Citizen, am I considered international student or a non-resident.
When checking out the stats book from AAMC, I noticed most schools rarely interview/accept international students. Are Canadians considered internation too?

Comments

• edited November 2006
    If you do your homework you'll find there are lots of schools that accept Canadians. I have a friend at Albany right now, and I know other Canadians that have been accepted to UPenn, Wayne State, Rosalind Franklin, etc.
  • edited November 2006
    mm i can't say for sure, but i think if you're holding a canadian citizenship, you're considered international. my friend is at NYU right now and she's paying an international student's tuition...

but again, i'm not sure, so i guess the best bet is contacting the admissions of the american university you're looking into.
  • edited November 2006
    Thats a really good question Rhea! Canadian med students in the USA are considered international. The discrepency lies in the fact that canadians are not international for undergraduate studies.

P.S. If they consider you a resident of the state you may go to a state medical school which would cost you much less
  • edited November 2006
    yeah, you are considered international... Or what they call, out of state student. Even if you are US citizen but out of state, you still pay the more expensive price, which goes to the same thing here. If you are a BC citizen and go to Toronto and study, you pay the more expensive tution fee... That's how I have understood it... Unless you move your address to Toronto and start paying their tax...

But I might be wrong... :)
  • edited November 2006
    If you want to go to a US college, try to apply through SFU as an exchange student for 1 year. You get their education at the cost of SFU tuition.
  • edited November 2006
    yup definately an international student...
  • edited November 2006
    Of course it's "international" if you're considering an institute in the states :P

Leave a Comment