To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

SFU vs Langara vs Korea

edited November 2006 in General
Hello guys, I registered to this forum because I had just learned that I got accepted into SFU for the spring semester. I am currently at Langara taking classes to transfer SFU for the BoA Economics program. After getting accepted I am not sure if I should go or not. I can either finish the spring semester at Langara and then go to SFU saving myself double tuition cost and a long travel. I live in Richmond and from here to SFU is pretty far. On the other hand, people tell me I should go to SFU because it's way better than Langara and at least ill have my foot in the door, which is a good thing. Also I am asian so I guess to show "face" to my Dad that I am going to a better well known university as oppose to a community college. But is that worth the almost double tuition fee plus the gas and long drive to SFU campus in Burnaby? What do you guys think?

Now another thing that has popped into my mind is that I am interested in a Korea student exchange program. This program is designed so I pay the low tuition cost of Langara, but able to go to Korea. They pay $800 for the flight and I cover the rest, also free room and $160 USD a week as an allowance and a free cell phone while i'm there. It is a really good deal because basically I just get to go to Korea and learn there and I don't have to pay any extra fees. I just have to make sure the credits I get from there can transfer to SFU. If not, then I am not sure what I would do.

So what do you guys think? Go to SFU in Jan or stay at Langara for the spring semester or stay at Langara and go to Korea for the spring? Any advice would be great! Thanks guys :)

Also, is SFU fun? Because Langara sucks! Just go to class and go home. No activities, no clubs, no way to meet new people unless you are classmates.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    I won't tell you where to go next spring because that is a big decision that you need to make on your own. But if I were you I'd come up to the sfu campus one day. That way, you'll know what kinda stuff we got going on over here (everyones studying for finals these days) and you can get a feel for the drive. I bus from surrey and trust me its a pain in the neck sometimes. But if you think long term, going to SFU will be better for your career although Korea is a really good opportunity..

Im sure some of the others will have good advice for you...
  • edited November 2006
    Yah, I think I'd have to say stay at Langara. I came straight to SFU from highschool and some times I regret it. I know people who did their first years at college, and it was overall better for them. The tuition price makes a huge difference. Also, technically, you start with a fresh GPA registration wise, and since you don't have a (bad) SFU GPA to drop you down, you'll get prioirty in registering, as I have witnessed from others! It seems beneficial to come to SFU at the end of your program...it will save you all the trouble and you'll still have the degree from SFU in the end I believe...

Also, do the Korea thing. You definately won't regret the experience, plus I have been interested in exchange programs or field schools for a while now, and they are soooo rediculously expensive at this school. The deal you're talking about sounds like gold..I'd take it!!!
  • edited November 2006
    oh yeah, and one more thing...sorry

You're worried about missing out on clubs and fun by being at Langara....trust me when I say you are not missing out on anything!!!!! We don't have that kind of thing any more than Langara I'm sure... read the posts about lack of school sprit!
  • edited November 2006
    I also transferred in from Langara, so I have some idea of where you're coming from at least!

Personally, I would stay at Langara as long as possible. You are essentially getting the same education, for less money, and with less stress and competition. Naturally, you will want to do some of your degree up at SFU so that you can get that name on your diploma (and since there is much more choice than at Langara).

I would come up to the SFU campus one day and check it out. Also, make an appointment with an adviser and run your thoughts by them. Find out how many credits you can transfer for your program. It stinks if you take all these classes and then can only transfer some of them!

And hell yes, take advantage of the travel! If you really want to be traveling then you should definitely do that as the opportunities don't always come up. SFU will be here when you get back. It's concrete. :wink:

And despite what some people say, there are a lot of clubs at SFU and lots of social events. You just have to seek them out! If you are going to drive home right after class each day, you will miss out on a lot of things. And if your dad wants you to go to a fancy university so bad, talk to him about putting you up in rez.

Cheers!
  • edited November 2006
    I have decided to stay at Langara and try for the Korean exchange program. If I can't go to Korea, then ill just finish up my Spring and Summer semester at Langara then apply to S.F.U for the Fall semester. I was at campus on Saturday, it seemed pretty dead but met some nice guys while playing basketball in one of the gyms.

Leave a Comment