To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

SFU students are too serious???

edited November 2006 in General
Everywhere I go, people from UBC and different colleges around BC tend to think that SFU students are way too academically serious.

For example, I hear that UBC students are more layed back and they party more. Whereas SFU students tend to study a lot more and not party as much.

I aslo hear we're like a giant high school now. I guess there's some truth to that.

But seriously, are we really that stuck up?
Even my dentist thinks SFU students are uptight.

What do you guys think ???
Do you think we're overly focussed on academics and should live a little???

Just an interesting thing that has bin pondering in my head.
I'm getting sick of random people telling me that SFU is depressing.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    For anyone who says that SFU is depressing, take them up there on a clear fall day and show them the view. It's awesome, seriously! I feel lucky to go to school on the top of a mountain, with forest around me and a bird's eye view of the city. :smile:

Also, I don't think that the students are too serious. I think that because it's a commute to get to school for those of us who don't live on campus, there is less hanging out and partying at the school than UBC students experience.

I went to UBC for a while, and it wasn't for me. Everyone was in a clique and had that snotty rich feel to them (yes, I'm generalizing, so sue me... hehe). I love SFU and I'm glad I'm here. :)
  • edited November 2006
    hmm.. never heard about that about SFU students.. from what i see.. UBC students tend of have more workload than us (relative to faculty of course) so i don't see where their 'excess' partying time comes from.. i'm sure a lot of SFU students party too.. perhaps word just didn't go around?
  • edited November 2006
    I went to UBC for a while, and it wasn't for me. Everyone was in a clique and had that snotty rich feel to them (yes, I'm generalizing, so sue me... hehe). I love SFU and I'm glad I'm here. :)[/QUOTE]

Ever since I got into SFU Arts, I was pondering whether I should transfer to UBC. As everyone seems to know, the SFU campus is really depressing and gets even worse when it rains. Plus I think there is an amazing lack of school spirit on campus. I would really like to see more clubs having exciting events on campus to up the often depressing mood. In terms of academics, without a doubt, SFU is way up there, and I’m sure, getting better. But UBC’s got history, and with that history, there’s a degree of reputation that UBC has and a respect it can command. Sounds like I’m praising UBC on this message board, but I’m just wondering what it would take for me to stay here at SFU and not transfer to UBC.

I’ve changed my focus and am now thinking about majoring in business. SFU has a widely recognized BBA program, but UBC has an equally recognized, if not more reputable BCom program. I was wondering what people in general feel about the SFU BBA program as opposed to the UBC BCom program.
  • hta
    edited November 2006
    When I say Simon........you say Fraser!
    When I say UBC...........you say sux!
  • edited November 2006
    You say academically serious, I say antisocial :P
  • edited November 2006
    UBC is having a blackout party this friday.
    Damn, us SFU students miss out again!

Anyways, anyone going to this ??
  • edited November 2006
    I think the "SFU = high school" statement may have some validity. As more high school students enter university straight from graduation (thanks to the ever-increasing pressure from everybody out there to get a Uni degree), the inevitable tendency is for the attitudes of first-year students to be more highschoolish. :)

I also heard that the high school permeation (if you will) is also being reflected in the tendency for first-year courses to be almost impossible to fail.
  • edited November 2006
    i have a lot of friends that go to UBC, and every other weekend i'll head over there because they invite me to their parties and stuff...and really, their parties are not that great. They shut down at like 10pm...well 2 weekends ago, a party i was planning to go to shut down at 7:30pm, after it started at 6pm. so like, for people who don't live on campus, it can be a trek to ubc too, and then when the party shuts down (which happens almost every time!) and every one is left to find some other place to go...it's annoying!

personally, i like SFU. i'm a first-year, first semester student, and SFU was not my first choice. but university is what you make of it. you can have as much fun you want, you just have to take the initiative. does everything have to be laid out for us?

ps. BASS has a lot of parties, events...check them out.
  • edited November 2006
    hta said:
    When I say Simon........you say Fraser!
    When I say UBC...........you say sux!
    ahha that gave me a chuckle. no sarcasm intended

but what people may think where SFU students are ' try hards ' is possibly because theres still that stereotype that UBC > SFU.

therefore sfu students appear to need to study harder to xfer to ubc yeknow?

Leave a Comment