To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Babysitting - What To Charge?

edited November 2006 in General
This is kind of a longshot, but I'm wondering if anyone does any childcare or pays someone to watch their kids occasionally?

I put an ad on Craigslist offering childcare for New Years (it's a good way to make a ton of money in one night!), but I've had some people looking for me to watch their kids on other nights too. I'm very happy to make some extra money, but I have no idea what a fair wage is. Any ideas?

I have first aid and cpr, plus a police record check. And I work with kids all the time. I think I'm more qualified than the average 14 year old, but what's that worth now?

Thanks guys! :)

Comments

• edited November 2006
    I guess it depends on what you think your time is worth. I used to babysit for my aunt while she went to work and got paid 100$ weekly but I was only 17 then and it was quite a bit of spending money back then...If its a night out for new years I think you should have a flat rate of 50$ per kid that way theres no awkward moments when it comes time to pay. I love kids too :)
  • edited November 2006
    Thanks for the tips, Rhea!

Yeah, it's definitely key to figure out a price beforehand. I'm not comfortable enough to demand more money otherwise! :)

Cheers!

Leave a Comment