To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

working + school?

edited November 2006 in General
do u guys have jobs right now and if so what? i havent worked a day since i got into university 3 years ago but im considering going back to work.. is it really hard to juggle with school?

Comments

• edited November 2006
    its tough:embarassed:
  • edited November 2006
    I used to work and go to school at the same time, and I felt like I was doing a pretty good job of it (despite being SO stressed at times that I couldn't sleep or eat!).

I was able to take a semester without working, and my grades improved dramatically, not to mention my sleeping habits and relationship. I haven't been working during school since and it's awesome.

If you don't have to work, then don't! I would suggest taking on a volunteer position if you have a little extra time you'd like to donate. It's a hell of a lot less stressful than work, and you can really just go whenever you want...
  • edited November 2006
    I worked throughout my undergraduate degree b/c I had to or else I won't have the financial means to attend school. I worked from 20-40 hrs per week and it really sucked. In the past I worked in retail and most of the times I had to work till 11 pm right after school. So I missed a lot of class and assignments as a result of work. I would choose to concentrate on my studies only if I were given the option.
  • edited November 2006
    i work part time about 20 hours a week, even tho all i do is just sit behind a desk doin email support and some calls

its still stressful because commuting to work is pretty brutal from burnaby mountain to richmond via public transit

itd b nice if i could just focus at school, but bills need to get paid so ya :(
  • edited November 2006
    i agree with imelting.. bills needs to paid and not to mention the ridiculous tuition fees.. *sulks* i got job during christmas of my first year and still working now.. quite frankly.. my marks never attained to what i was getting back when it was work-free... =(
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, if you can have someone else paying your bills and you don't HAVE to work... I would really suggest not doing it.

It's definitely a luxury to be able to just go to school!
  • edited November 2006
    i work at sfu. i recommend it if you have to work. you're right up there, so you don't lose valuable travel time. plus, they pay union wages. it's hard to get a job there though :(
  • edited November 2006
    i work 20 hours a week at staples in richmond
    commute is ass

but i got expenses. not bills. but wants. unfortunate. hahha
  • edited November 2006
    lol my bills arent rent and cable

usually they are of the credit card variety :angel:
  • edited November 2006
    i say if you work and go to school, you'll definately develop some awesome time management skills and studying skills too. i work in a restaurant, and sometimes dont get off work until 3am. when you have school at 8am the next morning and have to get up 1.5hrs earlier to take the bus to school....you'll learn to manage your time wisely.

best advice.

but!!!! if you dont need to work....then just treat it as such ie. dont be too serious about work.

Leave a Comment