To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Question regarding the design/art programs @ UBC&SFU (Simillar to ComSci Thread)

edited November 2006 in General
I am currently thinking of going into the School of Interactive Arts and Technologies atm @ SFU Surrey (I am in the TechOne program right now). I'm doing alright in it, and I was originally going to follow through and go into SIAT, but I recently looked at the Visual Arts program @ UBC and that seems pretty interesting as well. Anyways, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on either program as I'm sort of at a crossroads here.

1. Many of my friends are either @ UBC or transfering next year
2. The courses @ UBC seem a lot more concentrated on actual art etc. ( Theres sculpting/painting/photography classes).

On the other hand I have been enjoying SFU so far, but the classes seem a lot more technology based (I get feeling they teach you more abt the programs than the techniques etc. used in design.) Ultimately, I do plan on going to VFS and doing the course of digital design they have there, so I guess the question I'm really asking is which program would give me a better foundation for going into design.

PS: I am quite aware I can go to VFS for 2 years and get the digital design program done there, but I only get a diploma/cert there so I figured I might as well get a degree first as a back-up just incase I want to change professions in the future. Oh one last thing, I have scheduled an appointment with a councellor to talk about this, but more input is always nice. Sorry for the long ramblings, its around 3am right now.

Leave a Comment