To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

What's wrong with my DVD drive?

edited November 2006 in General
Hey, so... my dvd driver just suddenly stopped working :(
I can play stuff with it, but I can't use it to burn anything anymore.

When I insert an empty dvd in it, it says that it has 0mb free and 0 used... I can't open Nero burning rom, cos it just won't open.

I'll click on it and wait for it to open but it doesn't.

I can't drag and drop stuff into my dvd drive from my computer, or anything.

I updated all the drivers and even tried deleting the drivers and installing them back etc etc... I also tried uninstalling Nero and everything that has anything to do with my DVD drive...

help pls?

thanks

Comments

• edited November 2006
    The DVD laser be burnt out meaning your going to need a new drive. but they are cheap nowadays. try www.atic.ca or www.ncix.com or fly computers at the bottom of the hill on hastings they will hook it up good deal. confusing about the nero rom :S
  • hta
    edited November 2006
    See, this is why you cant rely on technology. Just go out and enjoy nature.
  • edited November 2006
    But when was the last time a tree made an extra copy of a DVD?!

;)
  • edited November 2006
    chinese canadian said:
    The DVD laser be burnt out meaning your going to need a new drive. but they are cheap nowadays. try www.atic.ca or www.ncix.com or fly computers at the bottom of the hill on hastings they will hook it up good deal. confusing about the nero rom :S
    thanks, but that doesnt really explain couple of things, why I can still read stuff with the drive and why doesnt my nero even want to open up?

thanks again :S
  • edited November 2006
    I don't know a lot about lasers (whats up with that eh) but I think that the laser uses different wavelngths to perform various functions. For example, it could use a different wavelength to burn and a different one to read especially for different media types (+/- R). One of the reasons they are having problems with PS3 is because they created a new laser that does like 10 different functions in one laser which is unheard of. Anyways who cares, a new dvd burner is 40 bucks just grab and pop it in. Nero is probably an unrelated software problem, try re-installing or restoring your computer.
  • edited November 2006
    Already tried restoring and re-installing...
    I really have no problem with getting a new dvd burner, but I just wanna figure out the problem, you know what I mean?

Anyone else got any ideas?

thanks...
  • edited November 2006
    the DVD burner is probubly from a communist country... and everyone knows that communism doesn't work.

And Nero? same thing....

Leave a Comment