To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

What made you choose your field?

edited November 2006 in General
Im wondering what kinda factors you guys took into account when choosing your field and if you are happy with what you are doing. I have mostly been pressured by my family to do sciences but these days I feel more mature and am exploring a lot of other interests. I believe doing what interests you is the most important thing to be happy... so what about you?

Comments

• hta
    edited November 2006
    Do what you wanna do. No one will stop you. Like me, I want to major in math and maybe minor in geography. I chose all my fields, no pressure from no one. But hey! The most important thing is to have fun in your chosen field
  • edited November 2006
    i started with engineering cause my marks were good, but that was a huge mistake

im doin econ now cause i acutally like it, but had i started over again, i would choose business, concentrating on finance/ib

my parents didnt pressure me to do anything they just want me to graduate
    but i put pressure on myself to do good and support my family (though as a chinese kid growin up, im sure others can relate, the whole lawyer doctor and pretty much anything with big $$$ thing)
  • edited November 2006
    I've wanted to teach since I was in elementary school and despite people trying to discourage me for most of my life, I'm still pursuing it. I want to be doing something that I like and something that I chose instead of being stuck in a crappy job.

And working with kids is fun for me and doesn't feel like work at all... so I think I'm on the right track!
  • edited November 2006
    because crim was the easiest of the 3 courses I took in my first semester
  • edited November 2006
    The business world always fascinated me and it made me think why so little people are rich. And I have found my answer and right now I'm with a financial brokerage helping others and myself become financially independent. The financial brokerage is called World Financial Group (WFG - http://www.worldfinancialgroup.com ). The knowledge that they shared with me, now I'm sharing with others too, made me chose Business Administration as my major. I'm planning to concentrate in finance and entrepreneurship.
  • edited November 2006
    i chose it by method of elimination.. i liked sciences but i know i won't go far on it.. arts bore me.. engineering was never of my interest so what's left was business.. but gawd.. the 100/200 level courses bore me.. i'm just hanging on because ppl said it'll get better in 300... nevertheless i'm still open to options and trying different things out...
  • edited November 2006
    I always liked chemistry and physics, but the math requirements for chemistry were easier than physics so I decided to do Chemistry with a Nuclear Science minor. Haven't regretted it yet. :)
  • edited November 2006
    To be honest.. I think post-secondary education is just a joke at times. Like really, why do people want to go to school in the first place? I can think of 3 reasons:

1. Get a good paying job after
    2. Parents
    3. Learn more (But I still suspect that its considered as an investment rather than just "learning more")

Research has shown that your education does not even determine how much you will earn in the future. There are those that have low education but earn much greater than those who have higher education. Otherwords, there is no relationship between how much you earn verses how much education you were exposed to. Parents? Well its inevitable sometimes that you just gotta follow what they say. As for learning more, you won't be wanting to learn more when your broke..so you still gotta earn money..and as you can see.. you need quite a bit of money for this expensive interest.
  • edited November 2006
    Some positions, you actually NEED to attend school to simply do the job (doctor, lawyer, teacher, etc).

I think that's a good reason to go to post-secondary. ;) And I don't really want someone with just a highschool diploma performing surgery on me!
  • edited November 2006
    ^ Thats true. I support those that want to be a doctor for the sake of being a doctor etc. But I do know people who want to be a doctor because of the pay. That is the worst reason ever to be a doctor because first of all..you get taxed like hell since you are in the high income tax bracket.. second.. your expenses are quite high too maybe because of the huge debt you accumulated from before on the way to being a doctor..thats if you made it.

But in the end, it depends on what you really want. I do know for a fact that people want/need money and I'm just saying that maybe going to school ISN'T the best way to get the money.

Leave a Comment