To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Does Anyone Volunteer?

edited November 2006 in General
Just wondering if anyone is doing any volunteering with their time? I'm sort of collecting volunteer experience because it's interesting as hell what people will let you do for free...

Currently I work as a leader with Girl Guides of Canada. I have a group of 17 girls aged 9-11 and I get to hang out with them once a week and plan things like camping trips and extra events. It's exhausting, but a lot of fun to act like a kid for a couple hours a week. ;)

I've also sorted food at the food bank (fun!) and I donate blood regularly.

And I've just taken One to One training. Which means that I can go into elementary schools and help kids practice their reading. And I'll be doing that one morning a week.

Anyone else? Or are you all "too busy"? ;)

Comments

• edited November 2006
    I would love to volunteer but my current schedule doesn't really allow it. I work 40 hrs per week and sometimes OT and take 3 classes at SFU. Having said that, if there is volunteer work available for 2 hours per day on Sundays I might do it.
  • edited November 2006
    Wow... sounds like 2 hours on Sundays is probably all the time you have!

If you really do want to donate that time there are lots of groups who would take you on. Just pick something you care about.

I read the other day that Pacific Assistance Dogs needs Puppy Cuddlers. Sounds like the best job EVER to me. ;)
  • edited November 2006
    I'm a full time student, work, and volunteer at two places. I used to think i was "too busy" but you can always find time, even if its just 15 minutes a week. Giving back to the community is really important.. volunteers make the world go round. :)
    (I'm not trying to show off in any way, wanting to volunteer should come from within, and you shouldn't have be talked into it. And if you do volunteer, no need to tell the whole world... )
  • edited November 2006
    Where do you volunteer, Bhambra?

It's not showing off here, I'm just looking to find some others who volunteer cuz I'm interested as to what kind of things people are up to. :)
  • edited November 2006
    SMH in the giftshop in surrey, and at a construction site working on a study centre.
  • edited November 2006
    I've always wanted to volunteer but never really got into it (i dont even have a clue where to go apply).
  • edited November 2006
    I want to volunteer at a local clinic this summer. we'll see how it goes.
  • edited November 2006
    K so i never actually visited the site...... but heres an "official" one

:embarassed:

www.volunteer.ca
  • edited November 2006
    I like this one

www.govolunteer.ca

Leave a Comment