To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Ling 110?

edited November 2006 in General
has anyone taken this before? i'm currently taking this and gawd.. lost doesn't even explain it.. lol.. basically the prof rants on and on and on with things that aren't even related to the topic.. the textbook itself (a custom courseware) just gives you background information and nothing to really help you with the course.. now people have said just study right off the CC and you'll be fine but i don't neccessarily find that the case.. any passerbys who could give me a few pointers for the course? =) and may i add the prof is a pain.. =.="

Comments

• edited November 2006
    another class I woulda had to drop... thanks hahahah
  • edited November 2006
    da_prodigy said:
    another class I woulda had to drop... thanks hahahah
    lol.. well i guess that depends on who the prof is.. if it's zita mcrobbie (i think that's her name) then you're okay.. if it's yourie pankratz (my current prof) drop it...
  • edited November 2006
    Yes, if you see the name Pankratz on ANY of your Linguistics courses, run like hell. I have him for Ling 100 and he's a complete moron.

I don't even go to the classes because listening to him talk is absolutely torturous. I just read the lecture notes...
  • edited November 2006
    wow.. he gives you lecture notes? darn.. he gives nothing in 110!! *roAr* but did you ever notice he sometimes lectures the wrong stuff? he's lectured 110 material in 100 as i heard.. lol...
  • edited November 2006
    Oh, yes he has! And his little rants, which were interesting once, are just frustrating when he says the same thing almost every class.

I'm pretty sure he's senile... It's painful watching him lecture and I have a hard time sitting through that class!

And it looks like there are some notes for you on the Library website: Just search Ling 110

Good luck. ;)
  • edited November 2006
    Malakaiii said:
    Yes, if you see the name Pankratz on ANY of your Linguistics courses, run like hell. I have him for Ling 100 and he's a complete moron.

I don't even go to the classes because listening to him talk is absolutely torturous. I just read the lecture notes...
    agreed

There was also a debacle last sem on the final where all the even pages were missing
  • edited November 2006
    Oh jeeez... I'm not surprised! He's a weird guy...

And I think it's pretty mean how when he sends around the collection of questions he's received, he leaves in all these assholey remarks that he made to students. Like "This was covered extensively in class". How is that helpful to me when I'm studying?!

Leave a Comment