To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Engl 101 or 102??

edited January 2007 in General
I can't believe its already time to register for classes for next semester this school has a weird system. :confused: Can someone help me figure out if I should take poetry or fiction English, I don't know how to decide and I need an english for my arts degree requirements. Thanks:tongue:

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Neither.

Take English 105, Literature and Culture.

The entire course is going to be based on Horror novels. It's going to be dopesauce.
  • edited November 2006
    what horror novels are discussed in english 105? i have a thing for that.. =)

i would suggest fiction english.. i took it in my 1st semester here and i enjoyed it very much with colligan.. plus i had a very pretty TA..
  • edited November 2006
    Try looking up the outlines for the ones you are considering! The books or poems used will vary and some will be more interesting for you than others!

English outlines are here!

Here's what they are reading in ENG 105 in the Spring:
    Poe, Edgar Allen - Selected Tales
    Shelley et al. - Frankenstein; Dracula; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
    Lovecraft, H. P. - At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales
    Blatty, William - The Exorcist
    King Stephen - Skeleton Crew
    Rice, Anne - Interview With the Vampire
    Brite, Poppy Z. - Are You Loathsome Tonight?

Quite the mouthful!
  • edited November 2006
    yea it sure is.. but bummer i've read half of them.. =\
  • edited November 2006
    I'm looking forward to reading the Exorcist. the movie is an all-time classic.
  • edited November 2006
    i took eng 102 and 103.

i hated 102 (poetry) to the core. not the fault of the prof, but i absolutely hated the course.

103 is drama, i really liked it. it's fun to go over scripts.
  • edited November 2006
    Fiction is pretty easy but you have to read a lot of big novels. If you don't like reading then poetry is the way to go, most of the poems you study are a few lines or a paragraph at most. But you realllly have to use your imagination becuase some of the symbolisms and imagery is hard to see...seems so subjective sometimes. if you need any help let me know ive taken pretty much all the english classes. :smile:
  • edited December 2006
    I took engl 102, its all essay and analyzing poems, you dont have to write your poems thought *Thank god* lol But its a ez course to bs ur way thru. But engl 101 has a lot of reading... I suggest you skip it unless you like books lol
  • edited December 2006
    Is 199 easy?
  • edited December 2006
    not really hard, just A LOT of work. Everyone should take engl 199 before enrolling in any other W courses because it really prepares you for uni style writing.
  • edited December 2006
    what about 104... is it really hard?
  • edited January 2007
    If you're looking for an easy course, wait for 101 to come back with the contemporary novels. I got to read Curious Incident which was pretty darn easy. And Life of Pi which is normally read in high school anyway.

Leave a Comment