To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Tips for Math 151

edited November 2006 in General
Sup...have to take 151 c=(calculus) next semester wonderin if anyone got any tips on how to dominate this class. I wanna show em how its done :beer:

Comments

• edited November 2006
    The course looks hard, but half of the more complicated crap will never show up on an exam. The profs just like scaring you into thinking you actually need to calculate the derivative of the hyperbolic cosine, or some crap like that.

Also, GET THE OLD EXAMS! They can be hard to find, but people usually manage to find them, and they usually follow the same format from year to year.
  • edited November 2006
    HAHAHA so true NukeChem. They teach you all the complicated stuff and long way to do things then they...here's the easier way to solve this question. They totally mess with you! But jokes aside its good to know the foundations behind questions if you really wanna do well and make sure you do practice everyday and you should be fine.
  • edited November 2006
    do 4 hours review every night do good mark in class
  • edited November 2006
    Sorry to hi-jack the thread but to those who have finished the course or have experience with how the curving/scaling works. How does it work usually in the calc classes?? In my class the average atm is 55-60% and I am getting around 48% *sigh. Both the midterm's averages were pretty consistent so I'm guessing the Final will be the same too, so does anyone know how the marks would be scaled if the class avg stays arond the same?
  • edited November 2006
    i think it was two classes ago, Prof J said he's not scaling the marks because the average is right where he expects it to be (or maybe he's just not scaling the midterms, now I'm not sure)
  • edited November 2006
    usually bell curve courses, class avg should score u a c+/b-

so above that u should be in the B range, and below that C range etc
    and if ur at the tail end, then ur gettin A or D's and Fs

it depends how the curve is, but a 48 off a 55-60 avg, would b c- range im guessin.. depends on how the disribution of the class scores is tho
  • edited November 2006
    ahh I see thanks a lot imelting, and @ melissa I'm not really sure who Prof J is, I take math 151 with bruce kadonoff :T
  • edited November 2006
    buy my full solution manual and get 100% on assignments!
    first step to getting an A in MATH 151, 152, 251 classes.
  • hta
    edited November 2006
    Hey jat3, can you give me the info on your solution manual? I'd like to buy some.
  • edited November 2006
    Hey, check out my thread on solution manuals:
    http://talksfu.ca/showthread.php?t=334
    Available manuals:
    MATH 151
    MATH 152
    MATH 251
    MATH 232
    MATH 310
    STAT 270
    ENSC 220

Send me a PM if you are interested in buying.
    Cheers.
  • hta
    edited November 2006
    I want to buy Math 152 and 232. How and where do I pay?
  • hta
    edited November 2006
    I want to buy Math 152 and 232. How and where do I pay?
  • edited November 2006
    ^hi, i can meet u at sfu campus
    check your private msg..i pmed u my number
  • edited November 2006
    Speaking of curving, if you're used to business curving, don't worry. Science curving rewards the lazy, not the cuttthroat.

Here's why: Assume that your mark on an exam is about 60%, and you and everybody else did a half-ass job of studying. Well, if the average is 55%, you just scaled up to a B.

Proof? I suck at the theoretical crap in linear algebra (MATH 232). Don't ask me what a polynomial space is because I have NFC. I know how to calculate determinants, inverses, do matrix row operations, reduce matrices using the Gauss-Jordan elimination and do eigenstuff. That's probably half the course material.

Guess what, I got a 57% in the course and scaled myself a B- because everybody else did an equally crap job in the course.
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah man, linear algebra is a killer course. Luckily the prof uses the curve bell if not we will all get D or worst.
  • edited November 2006
    Indeed it is lucky. :)

PS. If you are planning anything at all to do with quantum mechanics, learn the eigenstuff in MATH 232. It will be a pain, but it will pay out rewards for a long time to come. :)

One of the reasons why is that you pick up some tricks that will help you figure out if you're "doing it right" or not. It turns out that any symmetric matrix always has mutually orthogonal eigenvectors, and in quantum mechanics this turns out to be true when you extend the vector space to include imaginary numbers. :)

Another thing is appreciating the physical significance of the eigenstuff - what you're doing is rotating the axes of your coordinate system onto at least one of the vectors you're playing around with. This is what diagonalizing the moment of inertia tensor in physics does, for example.

End math geekage. :P
  • edited November 2006
    I hope I pass 151, I'm pretty worried about that at the moment. My gpa is pretty solid atm so I'm not worried about going on AP/Dropping out but does a fail or 2 in your first couple of years affect your chances of getting into a graduate program? I'm hoping this class won't screw me over too badly if I fail =s
  • edited November 2006
    buy my solution manual moratorium! :D

Leave a Comment