To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Are frugal, personal finance minded individuals less ambitious?

edited November 2006 in General
This questions was prompted by a recent conversation with a friend. His theory was that greed is ok, good even because it motivates you. He explained that he likes "nice things" and will work hard to get them. If that's considered greed, so be it. But I think he missed the point. It's not a question of greed, which to me conjures images of hoarding, rather than lavishly spending. It's a question of materialism. He didn't say that he wants a lot of money, so that motivates him to work hard. He said that he likes "nice things."

But if he is motivated to work harder, be more ambitious, advance his career to gratify his materialistic desires (as well as practical ones), is the opposite true? If I have low materialistic desires, am I less motivated to work hard and advance my career?

Comments

• edited November 2006
    i think u only come to that conclusion because you link ambition with money/materialism

you could have low materialistic desires, and be a very ambitious person
    say you want to be the best at some profession, i dont think you would be any less motivated, just because the monetary side of it isnt that rewarding
  • edited November 2006
    Actually, frugal people have MORE motivation than most other people. Although materialistic desires give some motivation, it is a minor motivation which is useless in the long run. Finding deeper reasons to be frugal is harder to do because it is more valuable to you in the long run. Its hard to explain but you will never know how much motivation is required to save up for your kid's tuition on a minimum wage salary unless you've been in that situation...not that I have but its important to realize the difference.
  • edited November 2006
    low materialistic desires are nevertheless desires.. having said that.. i think the question of low and high doesn't relate to the question.. we all have desires and whatever they are.. you will have this urge to fulfill them.. so to say that people who have the desire to advance in their career to gratify his desires would do unjust to those who want "low materialistic desires" such as living a simple and uncompetitive life.. after all.. they are still motivated to attain what they want.. a simple and uncompetitive life.. just in that eyes of the society.. they are not as motivated because they aren't desiring or attaining lavish things that most people want...

2+2 may equal to 4... but 3+1 is also 4.. so in the end it depends on what we desire and what we want..

hope my explanation made sense..
    toodles

Leave a Comment