To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

online shopping

edited November 2006 in General
Do you do online shopping? Is it worth it compared to say going to Future Shop or some other store to buy what you want?
I guess it's possible to do christmas shopping online and avoid the crowds. :smile:

Comments

• edited November 2006
    It totally depends. there's lots of scam and stuff... But a good way to safe time, and sometimes money, is to do online shopping on e.g Future shop, where they sell some items cheaper on the internet than in stores. and then you just go pick them up... you can do this with any item from Future shop... So yeah, that's a way to beat the Xmas crowd...

Happy Shopping :)
  • edited November 2006
    i do online shopping with ebay; so far no problems and i hope it stays that way
  • edited November 2006
    I shop online ALL the time! It's convenient and you miss the crowds. Plus you don't have to rush to the store to get there before they close, or find out they don't have the item in stock.

I use Ebay a lot, but I would recommend learning about how it works before diving in because there are some scammers on there.

I also like the following:
    BustedTees - Great tshirts, pretty good prices
    Dell.ca - Lots of cheap computers and electronics, they frequently have HUGE sales
    Slanket - Amazing oversized blankets. A really really great gift (I love mine!!)
    PlayAsia - Hard-to-find video games and accessories that ship directly from Asia
    Henrys Photo - An Ontario-based photography company that has some great deals on cameras, etc.
    Amazon - Books, books, books! I found some study guides for my classes that the bookstore didn't have, plus they have super-fast shipping, as well as free shipping options.

Generally, if it's a reputable site, there is pretty much no risk involved. You can always Google them to see what others are saying too.

Also, factor in shipping costs when you are looking at prices. Sometimes they are very high to Canada, and some places don't even ship here! Remember when the company you buy from is not located in Canada, you often have to pay duties as it comes across the border. These can add up quickly, so be aware!
  • edited November 2006
    Future shop BY FAR is the best for electronics. They have special "web deals" on all the time, so you can find good prices on stuff there. I got my laptop this september for $499.99 and its a 12" Compaq (its about the size of a small text book). Im really happy with it so far, and their shipping prices are alright.
  • edited November 2006
    **forgot to add... its really convenient being able to pick up stuff from any future shop location if you don't want to pay for shipping...Amazon is really good for books i gotta say
  • edited November 2006
    Oh, if you're checking out FutureShop online, make sure you look at BestBuy too!
  • edited November 2006
    i shop on ebay quite often, shoes, clothes, cell phones, accessories
    amazon a few times for books
    and some obscure online places from US for some stuf that was impossible to get here

and since i work for a computer hardware retailer, stuf come pretty cheap if i ever need it

no bad experiences yet, just be smart and avoid customs trouble when possible, or find a good store that uses border free

Leave a Comment