To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Pregnant East Indian Woman Murdered...

edited November 2006 in General
For personal reasons, I've been following the unfortunate story of the missing pregnant East Indian woman from Surrey. It has now been confirmed that the missing woman was found murdered and burned. The police and media have released information that the murdered woman and her husband have a 3 1/2 girl.

I'm no rocket scientist, but what are the chances that the murdered woman had a recent ultrasound that showed she was pregnant with another girl? I have high suspiciions about her family

Comments

• edited October 2006
    actually it has been said that she was trying to kick her brother in law out of her house because he had been charged with sexually harrassing his ex girlfriend..So he then started uttering death threats to her. SO im thinking it was either him or the hubby. Im hoping its not the hubby for the child's sake..
  • edited October 2006
    did miss something? what happened?
  • edited October 2006
    Family appeals for daughter's safe return
    Brother-in-law of missing expectant mother charged with threatening another woman

Kim Bolan, Vancouver Sun
    Published: Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Distraught relatives pleaded on Monday for the safe return of Manjit Panghali, a 30-year-old Surrey teacher who was four months pregnant with her second child when she vanished last week.

"We are desperate to find our sister," Jasmin Bhambra, Panghali's sister, told a Surrey RCMP news conference as her mother Surinder and father Resham broke down nearby.

Meanwhile, The Vancouver Sun has learned that Manjit Panghali's brother-in-law, Sukhvinder Singh Panghali, was charged last month with criminally harassing another woman over a three-month period last summer.

The 26-year-old man, who shared the Surrey home of Manjit, his brother Mukhtiar and their three-year-old daughter, appeared in Richmond court on the charge the day before Manjit vanished.

Sukhvinder was not at Monday's news conference. His brother Mukhtiar said his younger brother was at home, caring for the daughter of the missing woman.

At the news conference, Surrey RCMP Cpl. Roger Morrow announced that Manjit Panghali's 2001 grey Honda Civic had been located somewhere on the Lower Mainland, but investigators were not revealing the exact location.

Both Panghali's sister and husband choked back tears as they addressed a crowded room of reporters at the Surrey RCMP detachment.

Jasmin Bhambra said the missing Grade 1 teacher would never have abandoned her little daughter. "Our sister is a kind, loving, nurturing person who would never leave her daughter."

She said Panghali was thrilled to be four months pregnant with her second child and had just gone out and purchased new maternity clothes because she was starting to show.

"We are all very distressed. It is just devastating."

She said her 30-year-old sister was a very organized, habitual person who did not change her routine. Panghali disappeared Wednesday evening, after she left home to attend a pre-natal class in Surrey.

Bhambra said she last spoke to Panghali at about 10 a.m. Wednesday to get their daughters together for a play date, but her sister declined because she was busy.

"There is absolutely no reason why she would get up and leave on her own," Bhambra said.

Mukhtiar Panghali, a high school physics teacher known as MP, told reporters that he did not report his wife missing until Thursday evening, 26 hours after he last saw her.

"We just wanted to make sure that she was gone," he explained.

He said it was completely out of character for her to go off unannounced, but he still wanted to make sure that he called every friend and relative before going to police.

"The last time I saw her she was getting ready to go to her prenatal class as happy as can be," he said, also breaking down.

He said she had a cellphone with her, but "it appears the cellphone was turned off early on."

Mukhtiar said there were no problems between him and his wife of nine years.

He said their daughter is asking a lot of questions and is upset because everyone is crying.

"She wants to know where her mom is. That is how she is doing," he said.

Mukhtiar was supported at the news conference by his parents and other relatives, who remained on one side of the room, without speaking to his wife's family members, gathered and weeping on the other side.Morrow said the RCMP's major crime section is working on the file, given that the missing woman was pregnant and living a stable existence in Surrey.

He said there are on average, six missing persons cases a day in Surrey, but the majority involve a problem teen or someone with a mental health issue.

"There are indicators that have caused us some serious concern," Morrow said. "Certainly our hopes and prayers are with the family."

Meanwhile, court documents obtained by The Sun show the missing woman's brother-in-law Sukhvinder was charged with causing a Richmond woman "to reasonably fear for her safety or the safety of anyone known to her, contrary to Section 264 of the Criminal Code."

He appeared in Richmond Court on the charges on Oct. 17, the day before Manjit disappeared. His brother Mukhtiar was there to offer him moral support.

Manjit Panghali is about five-foot-eight, weighs about 135 pounds and has brown eyes and long brown hair.

She was a popular part-time teacher at Surrey's North Ridge elementary school, where teachers and students were upset by the news of her disappearance.

Surrey school board spokesman Doug Strachan said a letter went home to parents Monday about Panghali's disappearance and staff at the school gathered for a special meeting.

"It was a very sombre room in that staff room today," Strachan said.

Close friends of the missing woman have started an e-mail campaign to try to bring attention to her disappearance.

They describe her as a generous friend and the first person to drop everything to help somebody in need.

"We just really want to help bring her home," said friend Ran Chahal.

[email]kbolan@png.canwest.com[/email]
  • edited October 2006
    I'm not really following this story. However there are a lot of woman that are abused and murdered because of certain cultures in Canada. To deny that it happens because of political correctness, only allows more woman to be abused or killed. So I would say that people who have that attitude are the real racists, because they don't seem to value the lives of these woman.

White Liberals are notoriously silent when woman are abused in minority cultures. That sounds pretty racist to me. Personally I think these type of things should be dealt with openly, and the savages that like to beat and kill their woman are dealt with in the most severe way that our Liberal courts allow. They can leave their backwards cultures in their home countries, or don't come here at all.
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks dude...but you coulda just posted the link:confused:
  • edited November 2006
    Why does this story seem to stick out more than others??????

(... i'm not related to Jasmine Bhambra .......)
  • edited November 2006
    i think its due to the fact she was pregnant.. its one thing to kill a woman like that but to kill her unborn baby as well is horrific... makes u realize there are some sick ppl out there that would do such a thing
  • edited November 2006
    Plus she was a normal school teacher with a 3 year old kid. So it bugs people to know that someone would do that to a normal, nice lady. I think this has been the third case of violence against an indo-canadian woman in the past month so there is a lot of uproar about it. AND they havent even found the killer yet!
  • edited November 2006
    JennyBRONX said:
    i think its due to the fact she was pregnant.. its one thing to kill a woman like that but to kill her unborn baby as well is horrific... makes u realize there are some sick ppl out there that would do such a thing

I totally agree.

I think things are about to change . Women are going to find the strength and resources to leave their abusive husbands. East indian women (especially) are FINALLY realizing that they're not alone and that they can leave. Men are going to see that it is not okay to be abusive and that they are going to be punished for their actions.
  • edited November 2006
    ive heard some scary stories during class from a few of the east indian girls

stuf about their families would kill their own daughters for marrying/or being with someone they dont approve of

thats like the culture back in india or somethin, im not too sure, so if anyone can shed some light on this

but they said, its not as bad here as they get a lil canadianized, and usually the worst that happens is the girls get disowned by their families

this discussion in class came about because one of the east indian girls was dating a caucasian guy

scary stuf
  • edited November 2006
    Watch the movie "Murder Unveiled" (true story) . its about how an eighteen year old girl, Davinder, was murdered because she went to india and married some one out of her cast. The saddest part? The murder was arranged by her mom and uncle.
  • edited November 2006
    Hey imelting, its true in some ways but not as bad as it seems. Whats going on in my culture is a culture clash. The parents are stuck in the old (India) ways while the youth are slowly becoming assimilated (i dont know if thats the right word). So the parents don't understand the kids then they get angry and lash out because they don't know how to deal with the situation. Its VERY rare for an east indian parent to hurt or kill their daughter because of something like that but there is a lot of arguments and fighting that takes place...Im sure its like that in other cultures which have recently immigrated to Canada as well.
  • edited November 2006
    Not as bad as it seems??? are you kidding??!?! Its because its all hidden and you only hear about a few cases. youre not even acknowledging that theres a problem ..... how are we supposed to move forward if everyone has that attitude towards the situation.??
  • edited November 2006
    Okay, sorry for taking this thread off on a tangeant.

Trying to assimilate in Canadian culture is difficult. I don't think it's the brown guys fault. I am glad my parents were very untraditional in raising me. I made the conscious decision to assimilate into Canadian society, and now, the dividends are finally paying off.

You can't change our cultural problems until we embrace the culture we are in. This isn't India anymore.
  • edited November 2006
    I have to agree with what TiNgLu_SiNgH says. I also believe that we should try VERY hard to avoid painting an entire culture with a single brush. On one hand this situation should be acknowledged and investigated. However, on the other hand lets not generalize the situation and say that all people from this particular culture act the same way.

Leave a Comment