To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Annoying questions people ask singles

edited November 2006 in General
How does one dodge questions regarding our single status such as:

1) You are good looking, educated and charming, why are you STILL single?
2) Don 't you want to get married and have kids one day?
3) Are you picky ?

I really hate those! I usually defend myself by saying that I am not in a hurry (have had cold feet for a while actually ) and am precautious because of the high divorce rate. I also add that professional women usually finish their education later in life so there is an increasing trend of women who marry in their late 30s and early 40s. Does that sound eloquent?

Comments

• edited October 2006
    That, or a simple, "Screw you, mind your own business" ;)

It doesn't necessarily get better when you are in a relationship! I've been with my bf for 4 years now, and I get "So when are you getting married?" ALL the time. It drives me nuts. People don't understand that marriage isn't going to change my relationship... and I want to wait until I'm done school! Argh...
  • edited October 2006
    yea thats really annoying.. how r u supposed to get married and support a family when u need to finish school n get a career started in order to do so and get somewhere in life
  • edited October 2006
    lol.
    when my friends ask me why i'm still single, i just keep telling them that i'm not a pimp and never was. lmao.

don't even know where they got the idea that i was bf material or something.

i usually worry about these stuff if i were still single at the age of 24 or something.
  • edited October 2006
    Malakaiii said:
    That, or a simple, "Screw you, mind your own business"
    Ya FTW!!
  • edited October 2006
    ftw?
  • edited October 2006
    1). My future wife has not been born yet. Not the real reason but I use it anyway. It shuts people up.

2). I'm not religious, so the only reasons to get married would be for legal purposes, of which have not been fullfilled. Kids? They are a drain on your wallet and health. As for passing on my genetics, I was a sperm doner in college so I've already got more than enough. Maybe I'll adopt one day since having kids when there are so many without parents seems inhumane and selfish. Maybe if genetic engineering ever gets far enough I'll have one Gattaca style.

3).Yes.

I just figure that if I ever want to be with a chick long term, I'll be perfectly fine with cohabitation. Besides, without barriers to exit you don't have to worry about divorce and all the other BS. If things go south, she becomes a beotch, gains 400 pounds, or becomes a lazy couch potatoe, peace out.
  • edited October 2006
    Helen said:
    ftw?
    FUCK THE WORLD HAHAH
  • edited October 2006
    CollegeDude said:
    1). My future wife has not been born yet. Not the real reason but I use it anyway. It shuts people up.
    So you're planning to marry someone like 20 or 30 years your junior? Weird... ;)
  • edited October 2006
    johnny said:
    FUCK THE WORLD HAHAH
    ftw=for the win.

it's a gamer term.

evident it's different for johnny haha.
  • edited November 2006
    don't get mad about it.. people are naturally curious but there are the occassional i-don't-know-how-to-mind-my-own-business-so-i'll-mind-yours type of people.. just answer like it was any other question.. and if they piss you off give them a nasty answer for number 1.. they'll refrain from answering the rest after that..=)

Leave a Comment