To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Good Places to Study @ SFU

edited November 2006 in General
So now that finals are comin up Im tryin to get into a good studying routine. But I have a problem, I haven't really found any good places at school to study! I dont like sitting in those small dirty cubicles and the renaissance coffee shop is always too busy. Does anyone have any secret spots around campus that are quiet, clean and well-lit?

Comments

• edited July 2006
    i like chillin in the library on those new leather couches right when you walk in. for sum casual studyin its real good...actually ive taken hella naps there too so maybe its a lil too casual ;)
  • edited July 2006
    oh ya, i forgot to say, sixth floor of the library is good shit too, its good for when you gotta get sum hardcore studyin done cuz its so quiet and isolateed (is that the word?)
  • edited July 2006
    have u tried under images? its kinda more cozy and good place to meet up wit ur study group.. basically go right under images on the side further away from the library.. the whole wall is like a big window and theres like this lil pond thing u can look at lol.. so basically u get lots of light esp when its sunny, but if the sun bothers u, u can walk around to the other side where theres also a few tables.. hope that helps:)
  • edited July 2006
    It's amazing how many quiet places you can find in the library ;). Did you know that at one time the 10th floor of the Boston Univ library was one of the top ten places to pick up girls, but I digress.

Studying for me works best out of doors. Just give me a tree and a patch of grass and I'm good to go.
  • edited July 2006
    hahaha i hope no one blasts me but i like reading my english books by the AQ pond in the summers... but thas a secret so shhhh
  • edited July 2006
    Hi JohnnyBoy, I love to take naps on the library couches too :) Maybe I'll come wake u up next time I see you... if i knew what you looked like ;)
  • edited July 2006
    has anyone been over to the bottom floor of the business section?, even the 3rd floor patio is really good on those sunny days, u can study and have a smoke at the same time.
  • edited July 2006
    i like to study at the renisance.. the coffee shop at cornerstone, u can jus grab a coffee, take out ur laptop and do some work, its always busy there but i study best in that atmosphere plus they got some couches u can sit at too
  • edited September 2006
    i like studying in the study rooms on the 2nd floor of the library, its great when u need a place to meet with your study group
  • edited September 2006
    6000 and 7000 levels of the science wings. Excellent isolated study space. :) Especially with those nice couches in the South Science Building. :)
  • edited October 2006
    JohnnyBoy said:
    oh ya, i forgot to say, sixth floor of the library is good shit too, its good for when you gotta get sum hardcore studyin done cuz its so quiet and isolateed (is that the word?)
    For sure, that's the real deal for the hardcore stuff but if you wanna eat chill and talk and study as a group, i'd say 2nd floor library where all the tables are(its a little less quiet)
  • edited October 2006
    I need quiet and solitude to study, so I like the bottom floor of the MBC near the Health Centre. It's usually pretty empty!
  • edited October 2006
    studyin at renaissance coffee makes you smell like fast food when you step out , other thanthe convenience of food and couches

studying outside the deli ( if you're a customer ) is enjoyable too.
  • edited October 2006
    I study in those cubicles in the library. Yeah... some of them are really gross..........

It is hard to study there, although its so quiet, I can't help get disgusted from the pieces of gum stuck everywhere
  • edited October 2006
    if you want a dead quiet place........i take the cubicles in the library but they're so gross

im all about a pretty location, i dont know why it helps me feel good when i study....on the fourth floor in the aq, right next to the algebra workshop room, is a nicely lit area...but it can get noisy but it faces the pond so it's nice and there's outlets so you can use your laptop (but internet's questionable)
  • edited November 2006
    new building down ASB is very very good.
    there are 6 tables/study area. clean tables, chairs, and washroom. vending machine is right across from you.

no one ever walks by at night. i can stay there till 2am then it gets a little freaky.. then go back to the ASB table for more ppl.
  • edited November 2006
    I hate it when you are going to study and when you get to your spot there is already someone sitting there. Totally wrecks my train of thought to study and then you have to wander around looking for a new spot. So dam anoying
  • edited November 2006
    there are this somewhat isolated location on the bottom level of the library behind these bookshelf of old old books

its just along a wall and there is absolutely nothing there to see or get u distracted, so u are forced to study haha
  • edited November 2006
    The best place to study is in the PHYSICS wing. Take the stairs 1 floor down from the Physics main office and you will come out into a corridor with a set of nice and clean cubicles. Really quiet and very minimal traffic with lots of light. Been studying there for years.
  • edited November 2006
    First floor of the library.

I actually didn't know the library had a first floor until recently, but it's so damn isolated there that it feels like a prison. Sometimes I feel that it's haunted.

Happy studying!
  • edited November 2006
    NukeChem said:
    6000 and 7000 levels of the science wings. Excellent isolated study space. :) Especially with those nice couches in the South Science Building. :)
    How do you get there?
  • edited November 2006
    In the Chemistry wing, go down to the 8000-level (the one with the General Office. Then turn yourself so your back is to the hallway leading to the Chem 121 lab room, and the General Office is on your left (with the glass display panels on your right). Then walk forward and keep walking till you see a stairway on your left, and on your right you can peek over the railing and look down two floors.

Enjoy. :-)
  • edited November 2006
    i usually go to the Technology Complex (behind the ASB). for the past week ive been at school till really late, so i go to the 1st floor, there are vending machines, a washroom, copious amounts of plugs for your laptop...and what's best is whenever i need to clear my head a bit, i just step outside for a smoke, and i dont have to worry about packing up my belongings and stuff, because the doors are right there!

Leave a Comment