To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Who is Your Cell Phone Provider?

edited October 2006 in General
Just wondering who you guys use for your cell phone and if you like them or not. I'm thinking of cancelling my home phone and getting a new cell and plan.

I have no idea who is good and who is awful, so let me know who you use and what you think!

Comments

• edited October 2006
    im using fido, i should switch too

only thing good about fido now is just the per second billing and their prepaid service.. their phones are crummy compared to rogers, and the plans arent that great to begin with

most popular is rogers (rogers own fido btw, so they use the same cell towers, reception should be about the same, there are differences depending on the phone you use~ about the frequencies, but for most ppl its about the same)
    but rogers has nice selection of phones, and their plans are pretty competitive

telus has the best reception, cause they use cdma, whereas other providers use sim cards and use gsm, but can get $$ with their plans too
    also u cant change phones with telus, unless u get a new one from them directly

gsm providers, u can pretty much just swap out the sim card (if the phone is unlocked) so changing phones isnt too much a hassle

i dont know too much about bell, general consensus is overpriced and bad selction

most providers want to get u hooked on a contract, if u really are going to sign one for 2+ yrs, wait until christmas season, you should get better deals then

hope that helps :x
  • edited October 2006
    if u plan on using it to replace ur home phone, id suggest gettin the fido unlimited incoming plan
  • edited October 2006
    Wow... thanks imelting for the thorough review! :)

I currently use Bell for my cellphone because I had a good plan with them for a while, but switched to prepaid since I wasn't using my phone that much. If I do cancel my home phone, though, I will be using my cell more and need a better plan.

Telus is the devil... I hate their customer service and when I cancelled with them I told them where to go. It's embarassing how bad they are!

I haven't used Fido/Rogers. Anyone heard about or use Virgin? It seems like it might be too good to be true?

Unlimited incoming is a pretty neat thing... I'll check into that.

I definitely don't want to do any kind of contract because I hate committing to stuff like that and I always find a better deal once I'm stuck with something...
  • edited October 2006
    I'm using fido..and i like it..
    Per second billing is a big thing for me because most of the time I talk and its like 2 minutes and 1 second.. its crappy to have to waste one minute like that..that is if you have per minute billing..

As for reception, I don't usually go to ... very rural areas so.. usually I'm good with reception..
  • edited October 2006
    Hands down one of the best plans on the market is the City Fido Unlimited calling . Yes thats RIGHT unlimited incoming AND outgoing. It was available for a while, before Rogers bought Fido. Luckily I got my hands on one back then and Im laughin Ha ...Ha... Ha... :) anyways, you can buy that off someone if they are willing to sell (going for anywhere between 400-700).

iMelting gave a pretty good rundown of the different services so the rest is up to you. Fido is probably the best bet for university students because they have decent plans and cheap fones. Rogers is more business oriented they have a lot of weird extra charges.

Good job gettin rid of the land line though, my whole family uses cell phones we havent had a land line phone in years.
  • edited October 2006
    I switched!

Well, I started the switch. Turns out stupid Primus takes 30 days to cancel my VOIP phone, and gave me a hard time about cancelling. They even suggested that I drop Shaw and start using Telus, because Primus's crappy VOIP is somehow Shaw's fault... Pfft...

Anyway, I went with Virgin for now, since I don't really use my phone THAT much. And it's still cheaper than the plan I had with Bell. So that's good news. Plus the phone was pretty reasonably priced, and I definitely like that I only pay for the time I use (okay, it's minute to minute, but I always rack up extra fees!) 911 fee.. wtf?

Fido did have some good plans, but I'd have to use the phone more than I do to make it worth it.

This seems like a good solution so far. I'll let you know if it all goes to hell... ;)
  • edited October 2006
    Rogers.

Used to have the F2F w/ F2F text, but that plan is now gone.
    Once number portability is available, everyone will either go to Rogers or Telus.
  • edited October 2006
    i think rogers has that student plan. pretty good. 40/month for 400 + unlimited wknds/evenings.

i have the fido one from 8yrs ago. 40 for 400mins, eve + wknd, caller id, voicemail, text.

Leave a Comment