To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Movie Discussion

edited March 2007 in General
What movie did you see lately and was it any good?

What is coming out soon that you won't miss?

Suggestions, favourites, movies you hated, etc... Share it here!

Comments

• edited October 2006
    I saw a trailer for Spider Man 3 it looks SsSick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwe1HmFamCw

The story line basically revolves around the time when Spiderman becomes Venom (the black, more lethal version) I used to love the venom character in the cartoon so I cant wait to see this movie.
  • edited October 2006
    I really liked the 2nd Spiderman movie... Not only were the special effects awesome, but it had a kind of wry humour to it that I really enjoy. The 3rd one should also be good!

I watched 'Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring' the other night. A really interesting movie that has tons of neat symbolism and some amazingly beautiful scenes shot in Korea.
  • edited March 2007
    The Departed was frigging awesome. Seriously.

You never know what you'll get with the Best Picture winners. Some of them are just plain pretentious and boring.

But this movie was really engrossing! I wasn't just waiting for the end, but I really enjoyed the whole thing. Great acting, too. Plus it wasn't TOO gory (movies have been overdoing it lately).

Awesome for sure.
  • edited March 2007
    I totally agree. The Departed pulled me in...and never let go.

hmm I saw Stranger Than Fiction recently. I thought it was pretty good.. quite original.

I really want to see '300' though. It looks entertaining!
  • edited March 2007
    ^300 looks AMAZING!! Cant wait!

The Departed was the best movie that I saw last year. Sooo gooood.
  • edited March 2007
    i just caught the departed this past week, and yup a very good movie
    just like the infernal affair series, i enjoyed those a lot too
  • edited March 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    The Departed was frigging awesome. Seriously.

You never know what you'll get with the Best Picture winners. Some of them are just plain pretentious and boring.

But this movie was really engrossing! I wasn't just waiting for the end, but I really enjoyed the whole thing. Great acting, too. Plus it wasn't TOO gory (movies have been overdoing it lately).

Awesome for sure.
    I'm still waiting for somebody to come in with the "OMG TEH HONG KONG VERSION 'INFERNAL AFFAIRS' WAS BETTER BECAUSE IT WAS TEH ORIGINAL!!!"

I liked both, but I think The Departed offered much more in terms of character development.

I downloaded Jesus Camp a while ago, and I have yet to watch it, but I've heard it's pretty good. I'm psyched to see '300' as well, but I'm going to wait for some of the hype to die down so the theatres aren't so packed.
  • edited March 2007
    I watched Zodiac. I thought the setting of the movie was awsome and the killing scene were nasty. The movie was 2.5 hours long though so I was getting restless when it finally ended around 11:30.
  • edited March 2007
    Holy crap, a horror movie that was 2.5 hours long... jeez. It's almost pretentious to think that you can keep people interested for that long with cheesy murders!

I haven't seen 'Internal Affairs', though I will definitely check it out. What really made The Departed awesome for me was the quality of the writing and the acting, it's hard to find good writing in a movie lately that doesn't have you groan over lines that seem forced. And the characters were so multidimensional. I like that you couldn't pick out the 'bad guys'.

Jesus Camp looks great! I'm a huge documentary fan. Let us know what you think.

My friend went to see 300 last night and gave it a thumbs down. He's a HUGE comicbook fan, and really likes Frank Miller, but he said that apart from the special effects, the movie was lacking. He said it was basically highly stylized fighting scenes set to rock ballads. My friends are coming into town to see it in the IMAX next week, but based on his review, I'll skip it.

And Stranger Than Fiction instantly jumped into my top 10 when I saw it. Dustin Hoffman had the funniest lines! And Maggie Gyllenhaal is just plain awesome.
  • edited March 2007
    The Exorcist for my english class haha.
  • edited March 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth -- I absolutely cannot stand horror movies, and I went into this one thinking it'd be really scary after hearing the reviews (the baby-eating monster, "don't bring your children", etc.)... but apart from some unneccessary gory, it was very interesting, and almost beautiful in a sense =S Definitely a movie I'd recommend.

The Messengers -- My friends dragged me into this one. It didn't turn out to be that scary though... I think I freaked myself out too much before actually watching it XD. Bad movie for horror movie fans, but just scary enough for me ^^
  • edited March 2007
    I really want to see Pan's Labyrinth! Maybe I'll go next weekend as a treat after the awful week I'm anticipating. :smile:
  • edited March 2007
    I watched Rocky Baboa a while back and I thought that movie was inspiring. I really liked the speech Rocky gave to his son. Here it is for some inspiration:

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!
    Rocky Balboa
    Speaking to his son in Rocky Balboa (2006)

Leave a Comment