To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Priorities

edited October 2006 in General
Everybody I know seems to be career oriented. People are looking ahead, making plans, checking out possibilities. Do you think this is the best way to do it? Or should this be a time to relax and learn, the career stuff can be sorted later?

Comments

• edited July 2006
    Hi plumley, I think its important to have an idea of where you're headed in life. My parents always told me that to be something tomorrow you have to take the steps necessary today and now that I'm getting older it makes a lot of sense. I go out and enjoy time with my friends as well but it's important to balance everything out. Have you thought about what you'd like to be?
  • edited July 2006
    Life is to enjoy! Seriously y'all need to party and enjoy life cuz in the end thats all that matters. If you got no memories of when yoru young then wut the point? jus dooo what makes you happy an dthe rest usually falls into place thas my 2 cents im out
  • edited July 2006
    i don't know...i think there's definitely something to be said for taking some time off after you graduate. a lot of the people i'm working with this summer did it and they all say it was amazing to just knock around for a while before getting a permanent job someplace.
  • edited July 2006
    JudgeJudyJr said:
    Have you thought about what you'd like to be?
    I have and I agree that you need direction. Right now, though, I seem to be going in the direction of having fun. I suspect it's the sunshine and warm weather, which always say "Party!" to me. When fall comes and the weather is less inviting is when I'm likely to be more focused.
  • edited July 2006
    Direction is a good thing, as long as you can divide your life up properly. Study when it's time to study but don't forget to have fun too!
  • edited July 2006
    Well it is important to have a plan cause things like a great job don't usually fall into your lap. Plus if you aren't working on getting a good job, you better believe that someone else is! That been said I am more of a stop and smell the roses type of person.
  • edited July 2006
    hahaha hey plumley you jus said it bro i havent studied shit all summer cuz its always so sunny. ill be studyin then my friends call so im like mite as well get out and dooo somethingg
  • edited July 2006
    Glad to know I'm not the only one with a short attention span, Mac. lol

BTW, I'm a chcok but no harm done.
  • edited July 2006
    It's always a good idea to have atleast one eye focused on the future. It's okay to have fun (even when you get that "real" job), but if you aren't looking out for you then no one else will either. Besides, if you aren't getting some experience to go with your degree, you are already behind the rest of the folks you'll be up against after graduation.
  • edited July 2006
    I believe in 5 year planning. Most things are a 5 year process if you think about it - planning on one hand (or five fingers) so to speak. Typically most of us tend to think in 5 year blocks. Typical interview question: where do you see yourself 5 years from now...

College - 4-5 years (depends, but I know many that spent 5 years as an undergrad)
    Career - the first 5 years at your first job are very solidifying and say alot about you. Did you stay at the same company? Good. Now, how did you move up in that the company? Quickly (redflag ignites) or steadily showing you have a handle on your position in the company and a solid compass.
    Personal life - did you take time to build close relationships? How many close friends do you still have in your life that you've known for 5 years or longer? Or, do you tend to move from person to person quickly? Or worse, marry and divorce in less than 5 years.

I think you definitely need a balance of paying attention to the hear and now, but also being very clear on the path you intend to take for the next 5 years in all aspects of your life - including education, career, and personal life.

Ask me again in 5 years... hehe
  • edited July 2006
    At the moment I'm just trying to get through college with a broad idea of what I want to do, keeping as many doors open as possible if you will. As I get near the end I will kind of close out some doors and figure out the door for me
  • edited September 2006
    i also think its important to set goals-- both short term and long term-- gives u something to work towards, making plans gives u stability in where ur headed
  • edited September 2006
    "All successful people men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work every day toward their distant vision, that goal or purpose."
  • edited September 2006
    Having a plan is always essential. But plans don't always work out. There should also be contingencies. Plan B and Plan C. So that if you find that Plan A isn't working out for you, you can switch to another plan cos there is no use of achieving Plan A if you no longer feel it is what is best for you and would make you happy.
  • edited September 2006
    JennyBRONX said:
    "All successful people men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work every day toward their distant vision, that goal or purpose."
    This is kinda what I learned in Psychology: We each have an ideal self (who we want to be) and an actual self (who we really are)... Until these two are one and the same, we cannot be happy or content with life. This is big folks.
  • edited September 2006
    i think people should think towards the future and what they want to do, in life as a career. At the same time you are only young once. Once your done school there is not going to be time to party like there is now. Peoplewith get bus in life and you won't hang around with the same people that you go to school with.
    you need to have a balance where you progress socailly and towards your career path. thats my two cents
  • edited October 2006
    I think it is all about balance. You certainly should make time to relax, but I think it is also very important to be focused on starting your career.

Good jobs are hard to come by because there is a *lot* of competition out there. Too many new grads that I know of end up moving back home with their parents because they didn't find a job.

So, I suggest focusing on the career and going to the job fairs. But, also, schedule in time to relax.

Focusing 100% on just having a good time will lead to being broke and no job prospects.
  • edited October 2006
    Steph's right... its alllll about balance.

Leave a Comment