To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Laptop Overheating & Loud//Problem with the fan?

edited April 2007 in General
I've noticed lately that my laptop is REALLY loud, and it gets pretty hot. i'm assuming it's a problem with the fan, but i don't know too much about computer hardware. anyone want to help me out? what should i do to make my laptop quieter, and so that it doesn't it overheat? is the problem even with the fan, or is it something else?

Comments

• edited April 2007
    if it's making noise and it appears to overheat. i'd suggest looking into a software that'll detect your fan speed and temperature.

google some up, because certain ones wont detect your motherboard, depending on which model

i personally use this one :
    but remember, they each detect their own motherboards

look for them from www.download.com
  • edited April 2007
    thanks for the reply, illicit.

my laptop comes with software that detects this stuff.

it says my CPU temp is 63 degree celsius
    and my CPU fan state is 3000RPM
    -all statuses are ok.

i notice that I can change my CPU Temperature Theshold which is at 80 degrees celsius at the moment. do you think i should should lower the limit? would that slow down my laptop performance in any way?

but there are times the opening for the air to escape from the laptop, which is metal, is just painful to touch just cuz it's so hot.

argh. maybe i just have a shitty laptop.
  • edited April 2007
    I believe changing the CPU temperature threshold will only make the system alert you of an over-heating CPU earlier if you set it lower, it doesn't actually affect your performance. But it would be useless, because most motherboards come with an automatic monitor which shuts down the computer if the CPU gets too hot, and what that might do is just lower the max temp. required before your system shuts down.

What I find helps is blowing the dust out of the casing. Get a compressed gas duster can from Futureshop or wherever, and just blow some air in. You might just have a lot of gunk inside that isn't allowing for proper air flow and ventilation. Just make sure you blow the dust OUT, and not further into your case =P.
  • edited April 2007
    I was going to say clean the fan but ^^ beat me to it...but I wouldn't suggest using a can of air becuase it'll just blow the dust everywhere into your computer. If it was me, I would open the laptop, take the fan out, and then clean it but if you're worried you might wreck the computer, just take it to any computer shop they'll do it probably for ten bucks. If theres something wrong with the fan, it can easily be replaced (depending on the laptop model) so don't worry this doesnt mean you have a shitty computer haha
  • edited April 2007
    ahh ok :) yeah i've taken off the bottom cover of my laptop...and then i put it back on cuz i was scared that i would mess something up lol

thanks for all ur help :)

Leave a Comment