To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

anyone taken PHIL 210 Natural Deductive Logic?

edited April 2007 in General
I'm still getting my summer classes sorted out, so if I could get a few pointers about this class I would really appreciaate it... Supposedly theres a software we have to use called "Simon" that helps you learn classical logic. How is it setup and what exactly is it for? Also, is the class easy to understand and learn or would you consider it a difficult class? Thanks

Comments

• edited April 2007
    My friends took it, they said it was extremely difficult and the only reason they were able to pass it was because they have taken MACM. I've seen the material and what they've had to do all year and I don't think I will be taking that class any time soon.
  • edited April 2007
    I don't recommend it either. I enrolled it in it but dropped it within the first two weeks because it was too confusing.
  • edited April 2007
    Here is the downlow on da logic:

One either gets it or one doesn't.

In all likelihood, variation, and probability, however, one will not get it, not to be disheartening though. Another piece of advice I can give you is take it only if you absolutely must.

Is it a requirement? I doubt (unless you're a Phil. major). Are you looking forward to working with weird symbols and trying to deduce something out of them and take pleasure from it? I doubt. Finally, are you looking forward to unnecessary pain, needless vexation, and a unique sort of frustration? I sincerely doubt.

However, if you plan on taking the LSAT sometime in the future, this course can help you with your reasoning, so consider that as well.

The course is set up by giving you a set of truths (in logical format of course, which you will learn as well). You take these truths and apply them to a not-so-apparently-true statement (logical format--symbols, not words)and make it truer by showing the steps you take (each step represents a truth).

If I can remember it, I can give you a few examples . . . but not now.

Overall, the evidence on logic courses is practically universal: they are detested. I've met a few brave souls who have enjoyed playing around with the formulas and coming to logical conclusions, but these few are definitely in the minority.

Leave a Comment