To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

The Arts vs Math/Science

edited April 2007 in General
There was a discussion in one of my classes that somehow ended up getting into the topic of a the arts vs. math/science which then became liberal arts college vs specialized schools (or institutions). I thought the arguments were pretty lame for wanting to get a liberal arts education. I'm in a business school but still have to take my liberal arts courses. While I don't like business (ain't that something), I certainly don't see the point in liberal arts either. I heard arguments about how getting a general education is necessary to become an all-around person and how business students aren't well-rounded and just in it for the money. I couldn't help but laugh at that last point because I'm not in it for the money and I excel in all of my subjects (except physics; the only science i hope to never touch again). Anyways I'm curious what you folks think about this. It seems to me in today's society there's no room for people who have general knowledge, only for those who specialize.

Comments

• edited April 2007
    Not everybody can think like a scientist and it's probably good that we don't. :tongue:

The "soft" subjects don't have an immediate dollar payoff, but what they do give us that's not immediately obvious, is a section of the population with the deep critical thinking skills needed to develop a culture, as well as challenge its built-in assumptions.

This has pay-offs in questioning whether, for example, the Western tendency to bind one's sense of self and identity to one's employment is hindering the acceptance of the fact that with automation, we really don't need to work for a living for 40 hours a week.
  • edited April 2007
    ....math/science is based on logic, whereas art is based on theory.... that's how I see it...
  • edited April 2007
    Wow, I never thought of it like that

I've always thought of Arts as a study of culture/people and issues dealing with society while science is a study of the laws of nature and very objective...so yes, in a since it is based on logic.

Although these are both different ways of looking at life, I believe both are just as important. As a scientist, you would still be living in a world with other people and being able to understand them is important to understanding life comprehensively and not just as elements and moving parts. Thats just my opinion as a Business student because I have become used to observing and analyzing things from a broad scope rather than from an intricate level.
  • edited April 2007
    I went to this "What Can I do with a BA in Psyc" session just over a year ago. It was really interesting because one of the psyc profs spoke and said that a person who decides to take psyc & a person who decides to take business are already 2 different people beforehand. You strip them of their education & just look at them as people, they are already different. I totally agree with this. What drives someone to declare a certain major, really depends on who they are.

As someone who has an Arts degree, I have learned to analyze, research & write. I have developed a more open mind and a deeper understanding of people & society, and have therefore become more sensitive and compassionate with people. Even though a Arts degree is considered a general degree that someone can't really do anything with except be a teacher, I know this is wrong. Within 5 months of graduation, I have a job with the provincial government analyzing databases. This is only the start to my career and I know with my education, I have a lot of options.
  • edited April 2007
    The arts and sciences are not so different as people make them out to be. I'm not saying they're the same, it just makes little sense to label one set of disciplines as something and not something else (e.g. the guy above me says arts=logic; science=theory).

The arts are essentially based on the sciences. Many so-called "pseudo-sciences" (e.g. psychology, sociology, criminology, etc.) are based on fundamentally scientific priciples. The arguments in these disciplines are really centred around scientific facts, despite the scientific facts themselves not yet proven :confused:

The arts can also be quite logical (not that they mostly are, just that they can be): ever take a formal logic course? Then you have no idea that the arts can actually be so rigid. The soundness of arguments is based on scientific truths and any claim must correspond with scientific reality.

As for getting a general education, you cannot be jack of all trades. Perhaps there is no room for the well-people in our society because no one dares touch physics or chemistry unless he/she absolutely must.

Leave a Comment