To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

courses to help prepare for LSAT

edited April 2007 in General
I have heard that logic and reasoning type classes are beneficial for the LSAT. This upcoming semester, I have a choice between "Intro. to Logic and Reasoning" and "Natural Deductive Logic." I am not familiar with either one of these classes so if any of you have taken them, please give me some opinions on which one would go further in helping me for the LSAT. Thanks

Comments

• edited April 2007
    The classes you mention will not be very beneficial in terms of preparing you for the LSAT. The types of logic that you will be tested extensively over on the LSAT are actually very basic. Granted, you will learn the basics covered on the LSAT in either of those classes, but the only applicable material will be that which is covered in the first week or so of class. After that, anything presented in those classes will probably not be of much use to you.

Go get the "bibles" that everyone raves about (they really are quite good) and work with them. Additionally, if you want to really understand the types of formal logic that underpin many LSAT questions, go and figure out these very basic principles of logic on your own (they are so simple):

-Modus Ponens
    -Modus Tollens
    -Contrapositive

I think it's fairly safe to say that the LSAT does not get much more advanced than that in terms of formal logic. Learn those rules and know that it's very likely that if an answer choice (or prompt) does not conform to those rules, it is a fallacy and probably wrong (unless of course you are being asked to identify a fallacy)

Of course, if you really want a deep philosophical understanding of these and other principles, then by all means take the class(es). If not, your potential success on the LSAT will not be affected.
  • edited April 2007
    My Philosophy TA pretty much said what Law Student posted.
    though my TA said that in his opinion, Phil 210 (Natural Deductive Logic) will help you on the LSAT more-so than Intro to Logic and Reasoning.
  • edited April 2007
    Wow, that definitely made things clear...I might take Deductive Logic anyways because I'm sure it will help in some small way, like making me think more logically. Thanks for the replies!

Leave a Comment