To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Be Good to People...

edited April 2007 in General
Alright, so tonight I was walking around Yaletown/Downtown, and a random middle-aged woman asked me how to get to the granville skytrain. Even though I gave her directions, she still seemed lost so I decided, what the heck, I'll take her there (even though it was completely in the opposite direction)!
so during our walk she told me about how she just transferred from Paris to Vancouver for Business Objects, and she asked me what I wanted to do/what i'm studying in school. I told her that I'm planning on getting into some marketing/PM work. and she told me that path would be fit for me since I already proved to her that I am personable, that I have communication skills, etc. and we continued to talk about marketing related things...

when we finally arrived at the station, she gave me her business card and offered me an internship at Business Objects in June!!!!!
it's almost like the walk to the station was an interview lol.

i was not expecting that...but man...I AM SO EXCITED! :smile:

you just never know what'll come your way!!!!!!

Comments

• edited April 2007
    oh wow.. CONGRATS!! X) that was so unexpected.. hahaha.. so what position is she in at this company? man.. this is like an opportunity falling right into your lap.. =D
  • edited April 2007
    haha thankssss!! yeah i TOTALLY DID NOT expect that. talk about lucky eh?
    and because I didn't expect anything to come out of helping this woman, I was just being myself--holding up just a regular conversation as usual....

Well, she told me she usually works in Sales/Customer Planning and Analysis, but she also has a software engineering background. at Business Objects, she will be doing a little bit of IT work as well.
    :D

so yeah BE GOOD TO PEOPLE! :)
  • edited April 2007
    Wow, that is some great luck you have! Now you won't have to waste your time looking for a summer job.

My friend and I always walk around Yaletown at night when we're bored but no one ever ask us for directions :). In fact, I usually ask people for directions.
  • edited April 2007
    Thats fuckin awesome...if you become a big time CEO one day you better hire all of us lol
  • edited April 2007
    you make me want to hurt you.

you lucky bastard. you're the one person i WONT be nice to michelle.
  • edited April 2007
    wow thats an incredible story, gl to u :D
  • edited April 2007
    aha! Good karma at work. :teeth:

Being good to people almost always pays off... though not usually in this direct way! Congrats!
  • edited April 2007
    man thats crazzzy, its like right out of the movies, good luck to you!
  • edited April 2007
    thanks everyone (except for illicit...jk, i know you mean well :o) )

hahahaha and to hit maker, one day if I eeeeever become exec of anything...i am SO making a TalkSFU department, and you all are gonna be there...

and we're going to party.
  • edited April 2007
    reminds me of the 'payday' lottery ticket commercials :D
  • edited April 2007
    "grats. Good to hear of the stroke of luck! :)
  • edited April 2007
    imelting said:
    reminds me of the 'payday' lottery ticket commercials :D
    lol so true
  • edited April 2007
    hmm.. i suppose this incident fits well with meesh's topic.. i got a call today from Western Company (i've never heard of this) saying that someone gave them my phone number and details recommending me a potential candidate for a summer internship at one of their companies... they had my name.. number.. major all written down but the only thing was this person wrote me down as a ubc student.. lol... and as it turns out the event was exclusively for ubc... however the very nice man over the phone checked the schedule and turns out they're having some sort of info session at SFU too.. so.. i'm gonna go check it out and see if i can get something of this.. =)
  • edited April 2007
    siuying said:
    hmm.. i suppose this incident fits well with meesh's topic.. i got a call today from Western Company (i've never heard of this) saying that someone gave them my phone number and details recommending me a potential candidate for a summer internship at one of their companies... they had my name.. number.. major all written down but the only thing was this person wrote me down as a ubc student.. lol... and as it turns out the event was exclusively for ubc... however the very nice man over the phone checked the schedule and turns out they're having some sort of info session at SFU too.. so.. i'm gonna go check it out and see if i can get something of this.. =)
    heheh that's really random! but yeah check it out! do you know what the company does?

Leave a Comment