To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Does your parents ever look down on you b/c of your educational background?

edited March 2007 in General
Well, my mom does and it sorta bothers me just b/c she is my mom. My bro and sister goes to UBC. My brother is currently in the faculty of science and he may be heading to med school (and that's a big maybe) while my sister is working on her degree in Commerce. Since I graduated from SFU my mom tells her friends and relatives I'm the dumber child since I didn't graduate from UBC while she brags about my bro and sis cuz they go to UBC. At one point, my mom said SFU isn't even a real university whatever that means. On the other hand, I can't really tell my mom that I have more than a SFU education. I'm currently working on my Chartered Financial Analyst designation and will probably move on and complete the Chartered Accountant designation after that.

And really, I can't tell my mom how hard it is to get these designation cuz in her mind, the world revolves around UBC. She doesn't even realize that better Universities such as Ivey league schools exist.

Well this is mainly a rant. But does any of your parents feel that way about you and how do you handle it?

Comments

• edited March 2007
    At least your mom cares that you go to school! My mom couldn't remember what school I went to. I applied for a scholarship last year that required her to write a letter for me. She wouldn't do it. I had to write it myself and have her sign it. (I got the scholarship, btw)

She's be happy if I worked as an office assistant or something for the rest of my life. She only sees dollar signs and not the reasons for why I want to be a teacher.

Meh... parents.
  • edited March 2007
    if you are not asian, you won't understand why asian parents are doing this...

I understand that too, because my parents want me to go UBC, but I ended up in SFU.:sad: Well, they didn't complain much since the highest degree they have are at the elementary lvl

Parents always want the best for their kids, even if it gonna defy their kids wishes
  • edited March 2007
    ^Actually, my mom knows I go to SFU only b/c my dad told her. She never even looked at my report cards when I went to elementary and high school so my mom is no different than yours. She didn't attend my graduation nor does she know when I went to SFU.

All my mom sees is dollar signs too. She likes the idea of my bro going to med school b/c that means lots and lots of money.
  • edited March 2007
    Holy crap, I'm so sick of hearing people say "If you're not asian, you won't understand"
  • edited March 2007
    noname said:
    ^Actually, my mom knows I go to SFU only b/c my dad told her. She never even looked at my report cards when I went to elementary and high school so my mom is no different than yours. She didn't attend my graduation nor does she know when I went to SFU.

All my mom sees is dollar signs too. She likes the idea of my bro going to med school b/c that means lots and lots of money.
    It was my dad that didn't attend my graduation. He's a biiiig loser, though. My mom at least means well, she's just got her priorities all messed up. When I was ten she told me to marry for money, not love. There is som good advice! haha

At least YOU know you worked hard for your degree and to get where you are now. Personal satisfaction is a hell of a lot more valuable. But I know what you mean about wanting your parents to support you.
  • edited March 2007
    you might be sick of it, but its the sick truth...

You ppl might get send to your run when ur in trouble, while we get our ass kicked
  • edited March 2007
    i guess i'm the lucky one here so far.. my parents never looked down on me like that.. but friends and relatives did.. lol... my mom never went to uni.. so she didn't have much to comment on aside from the fact that she wants to me to get into one... my dad's gone thru uni so he understands... i once even asked my parents what would they do if i ended in college and not a uni and they just said "do your best on it".. so i'm happy i have understanding parents like them for that matter.. =) but they're also the ones who hurt me the most during the time when i was writing my provincials..
  • edited March 2007
    siuying said:
    i guess i'm the lucky one here so far.. my parents never looked down on me like that.. but friends and relatives did.. lol... my mom never went to uni.. so she didn't have much to comment on aside from the fact that she wants to me to get into one... my dad's gone thru uni so he understands... i once even asked my parents what would they do if i ended in college and not a uni and they just said "do your best on it".. so i'm happy i have understanding parents like them for that matter.. =) but they're also the ones who hurt me the most during the time when i was writing my provincials..
    whoa, do we have the same parents? except that my dad never finished high school and had to join the army. now, they always tell me how happy they are for me because they see how interested i am in what i'm studying, and now i'm seriously planning ahead to get into graduate school.
    but also during provincials, or actually my last 2 years in high school, i had so much shit going on, school was no longer a priority for me. i upset them during that time, but i'm so happy that things are turning out well.

to noname, parents can be so stubborn. i know how you feel to a certain extent. i have two sisters, and one of them is well...a little "off"...and she only finished high school. my parents used to call her the dumb one as well, but i think those comments motivated my sister to prove to them that she is capable of doing well, and now she's all cleaned up and has a stable, comfortable job.......so i guess what i'm trying to say is, try to use their criticisms to your benefit. prove them wrong.

huh, for some reason this thread kind of opened old wounds lol.
  • edited March 2007
    toast said:
    you might be sick of it, but its the sick truth...

You ppl might get send to your run when ur in trouble, while we get our ass kicked
    "You people"?! Wow. I've never been 'sent to my room', and I know lots of asian people who have not had their ass kicked. I don't know who your stereotypes are helping...
  • edited March 2007
    well my parents both only got to high school education

my sis also grad from sfu as well, and they and they really did look down on either of us, not that they would had i gone somewher else anyways

my parents are pretty cool, not very atypical of what these asian parent 'stereotypes' would lead u to believe
  • edited March 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    "You people"?! Wow. I've never been 'sent to my room', and I know lots of asian people who have not had their ass kicked. I don't know who your stereotypes are helping...
    I geuss they didnt have REAL asian parents......sigh
  • edited March 2007
    Yep, just phony faker Asian parents who couldn't even use chopsticks. :wink:

Besides, lots of cultures use strict parenting and many of them aren't Asian.
  • edited March 2007
    my mom and dad are both from hk/china, both my sis and i were born there as well

we never got our asses kicked (maybe like threat of violence once or twice lol) but never got beat by them

maybe i am the exception to the rule huh

edit: spelling doh
  • edited March 2007
    u must have nice parents then....
  • edited March 2007
    or maybe u have mean parents :x
  • edited March 2007
    noname said:

And lots and lots of debt.

Leave a Comment