To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Internet Curfew For Students In India

edited March 2007 in General
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6459295.stm

The authorities at the Indian Institute of Technology in Bombay have cut off internet access to student dorm rooms at night. The school feels that 24hr internet access is hampering students' academic performance and overall personality development. Wow

Quote:
They feel that 24-hour internet access is hampering students' academic performance and overall personality development. Students have unlimited free access to the internet in their hostel rooms to help with coursework and research but many of them use it to download movies, play games and chat online instead.

Comments

• edited March 2007
    thats wayyyy too extreme, there are creative ways to prevent downloading of movies and playing games and whatnot
  • edited March 2007
    Whoa! I'd be so mad. I do 99% of my research online, and use the internet to look up things like proper paper formatting, not to mention the fact that the only way to contact the prof at 2am is via email... :wink:

And why is it the college's concern if their students are screwing up? The best thing they can do is give them access to things which will encourage better study and preparation habits. Blech.
  • edited March 2007
    But being able to download movies, play games and chat online is apart of the college learning process now lol

Leave a Comment