To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Missing lectures...

edited March 2007 in General
How bad is everyone with missing lectures??

I actually picked my classes this semester so most lectures would be in the afternoon, which works well for me. However, for the past 3 or 4 weeks (!!!) I have totally slept through my 9am on Thursdays and I see that coming for tomorrow as well.. I'm doing an essay though, and I always find essay all-nighters to be a valid excuse for missing lectures.. But I'm starting to feel bad At least it's only History, and I always find that really easy to learn by just doing the reading myself..

Anyway, what about everyone else?
Personally, I never "just don't go". If I miss it, it's because I genuinely overslept. Which is no better, I suppose

Comments

• edited March 2007
    I will often choose not to go to lectures because I feel they can be a waste of time. I had a prof last year for Child Psychology (G. Iarocci - AVOID!), who basically read the textbook to us in lecture. It was EXACTLY what I'd read in the text and there was no further information or discussion in lecture. It was making me bitter and frustrated, so I stopped going and did quite well in the course (I still did the reading, naturally)

A lot of my lectures are digitally recorded, so I will occasionally miss one in order to study for another class or finish off a project, but I usually find some time to listen to the recording so I'm not behind.

I think at this point it's fine to choose if you want to go or not, but you should make the effort to keep your grades up whatever you choose!
  • edited March 2007
    I used to be off-and-on about lecture attendance, but as I went from second to third year I found that I really had to go from like, 90% attendance to near-100%. It's served me well, as I find I learn best if the professor can explain the material and walk us through the steps of calculations and derivations.

:smile:
  • edited March 2007
    I never used to go to lecture in first year but now I know that lectures are the most efficient way of doing business ;) Going to class keeps you exposed to the material so that when it comes time to cram, you end up remembering so much that the prof was yappin about in lecture...even if you were half asleep at the time lol. Gotta admit the flexibility of having lectures recorded online is great but nothing beats hittin up lecture on a regular basis.
  • edited March 2007
    I've started to skip my 9:30am lecture as well for the past two weeks....but I did it because ive had interviews for jobs during both of those times. This week, I'm planning on going to it, even tho i am NOT a morning person at all.

I'm actually really proud of myself this semester....I havent missed as many lectures as I usually do. For a lot of my courses in the past, I've gone to the first lecture, the midterm, and the last lecture. Not this semester tho. Yay!

Leave a Comment