To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Housing Price in Vancouver

edited March 2007 in General
I was looking at houses this weekend and the realtor was asking for $890,000 for a 23 year old home on East 43rd ave in Vancouver. I checked up the assessment value for the home on BC assessment and it's valued at $780,000. Of course I'm looking to negotiate on the pricing. As I am a first time buyer, can anyone share any tips on house price negotiation with me?

Comments

• edited March 2007
    ....I am secretly learning the skill of Realtor from some1, and all i can tell you is this.

It's nearly impossible to own a house if you are at a working class level, since a 100 year old house worth at least 400k last time I checked. This is due to the winter Olympic coming up in Vancouver. If you really want to buy a house without getting ripped off, might as well do it after the Olympic, cause they ain't dropping any sooner

Btw, the BC assessment is just a way of telling the home owner "o since your house value increased, might as well increase your property tax as well!" I can assure you, it is (Nearly) impossible to find a house lower than its BC assessment value, because everyone loves ripping off other people's bank account. Isn't Vancouver such a beautiful place to live? >.>
  • edited March 2007
    We own a 2 bedroom apartment in East Van, and it's already doubled in assessment value in the 2 years we've been living here!

Once I'm done school, we will sell this place and move north of Nanaimo where you can get a beeeeautiful house with a view and a yard for the price of this apartment...
  • edited March 2007
    the better question is, how are you guys so rich o.o
  • edited March 2007
    i believe an average person with a decent paid job should be able to find a decent apartment...decent doesn't mean it's brand new lol...

and good luck trading your apartment for a beautiful home....it's very hard these days...

Leave a Comment