To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

We take things for granted.

edited March 2007 in General
This might sound like a rant - it is probally, but it's also a fact and I hate it. I do the same as every North American kid, take everything forgranted.

You might not be bothered and think to yourself, 'heard it all before' - but there are children who will starve today at the same time as having no parents and also contaminated with a disease. There will be a child today on the streets somewhere in England who feels they have no one to talk to .. and here we are, free spending money and our parents spend alot on us..

My reason for posting is simpily, my parents. My mum, is a little struggling on cash, and she rang up kind of apologizing in a way that she wants to do the best and take us out and things like that. It really upset me that, she was upset because she didn't think that possibilly I would have to do without a day out? I'm not spoilt or anything like it, just makes me think. =/

Todays society is so spoilt in whole.

Comments

• edited March 2007
    I fully agree that as a whole we take things for granted.

I've grown up with a slightly different outlook as I grew up in poverty. I know what it's like to go to the foodbank, or pick bags of buns out of the dumpster behind the bakery. My brother and I used to put on all of our clothes to try to stay warm in our house when my parent's couldn't afford heat (in Alberta in December).

I donate to the foodbank every Christmas in my mom's name because I know how much we needed it there, and that other families need it too. I also go and sort food for them sometimes. And I volunteer with a group of Girl Guides whose families are at or below the poverty line. It really gives a person perspective...

My mom fought to get us out of poverty and I'm really lucky to be able to go to a school like SFU that many people take for granted...

I think the best you can do is just try to help those who are struggling and trying to get to a point where they don't have to work 3 jobs to feed their kids, and the kids get a new pair of shoes when they need 'em. Once I've graduated I want to teach low-income kids (they always get the raw end of the deal), and we want to buy houses, fix them up, then rent them to low-income families.
  • edited March 2007
    Speak for yourself. My mom doesn't take me out and never has been able to afford to do so. I get (most of) my food bought for me while I'm in my house. I pay for my own education and everything it entails, and have since sixth form.

Don't rant if you're not going to do anything about it. Everyone knows about these problems, that's why there are charities. But don't be so blind as to assume we're all sucking on the silver spoons that we had in our mouths upon birth - some of us do have our own lives to worry about, believe it or not. There's a difference between taking things for granted and being a bit selfish - one isn't a great quality, the other is pretty much necessary to have a life in the first place.

It's 2 words anyway. For, granted.
  • edited March 2007
    (off topic)

You won't believe the things I saw in India.

I was completely devastated.

There are little four year old kids out there who, litterally, have nothing except a ragged t-shirt, worn out shorts and their best friend. And when they ask you for 10 rupees (thirty cents canadian), your heart breaks, because that's all they want. they just want to eat that day. They're not asking for a car, that new apple ipod, or a toy. That child will probably never go to school, will probably never ride in an airplane, will probably live in poverty until the day he dies. He doesn't deserve that, nobody does. It was hard seeing people live in poverty for the six weeks i stayed in india. It was life altering. i got to come back, but how will those kids escape?
    Stuff like that makes you feel thankful for what you have and for what you don't have. But it also makes you feel guilty that we have so much than just a tshirt and shorts.

Leave a Comment