To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

LSAT One-on-One Tutoring

edited September 2006 in Tutoring
Thinking about taking the LSAT?
Don't want to pay $1500 for a classroom course?
Consider hiring a personal tutor for a few hours!
Save money and improve your LSAT score!

About me:

I have recently graduated from law school, and during law school I worked as an instructor for different LSAT companies, including The Princeton Review and Oxford Seminars. I have two-and-a-half years of LSAT teaching experience, and I have received strong teaching reviews from many of my students. During that time, I also tutored some students on the side, and I have roughly 150-200 hours of one-on-one tutoring experience.

Although I no longer work as a classroom instructor, I am still available for one-on-one tutoring. I can help you with all aspects of the LSAT, including overall test-taking strategies. Having written the LSAT myself and having spent nearly 3 years as an instructor, I am very familiar with the LSAT and I can help you improve your score.

Tutoring vs. Classroom Courses:

In my experience, tutoring is a much more effective method of preparing for the LSAT, since the teacher can adjust to the specific needs of each student, and focus on the areas where the student can improve the most. In a normal classroom environment, the teacher has no choice but to proceed at a particular speed, and to spend a set amount of time on each topic. This can be frustrating for almost all of the students in the class, who will inevitably find the pace to be either too fast or too slow, and the instruciton to be either too in-depth or not in-depth enough. An hour or two of solid one-on-one tutoring is often more useful to a student than an entire day in the classroom.

Rates and Other Information:

I charge $45/hour for instruction, which is very reasonable. Typically, tutoring throuh large companies such as The Princeton Review runs at over $100/hour. Additionally, such large companies often have a high turnover rate among their instructors, meaning that you may end up with an instructor who is new (or fairly recent) on the job. Before paying that much for tutoring, you should ask how long your instructor has been teaching the LSAT, and how much prior tutoring experience they have.

Typically, I meet students for tutoring sessions at quiet coffee shops in and around Vancouver. I find that coffee shops are good because we will be free to talk and discuss the LSAT with each other (as opposed to a library where talking is not allowed). Also, coffee shops (or at least some of them) are usually quiet enough to allow us to concentrate and not be distracted. Plus I can also get a cookie or muffin or some kind of delicious treat!

If coffee shops aren't your thing, I'm open to other suggestions and happy to meet you elsewhere. My apartment, unfortunately, is off-limits. Not only would it annoy my girlfriend (who lives there) but it's a small, downtown condo, I don't really have a good workspace. I am happy to make a "house call" and tutor you in your home/office/parent's basement, so long as we are free to talk and so long as there is not a lot of noise or other distractions. Also, I am deathly allergic to cats, and so I have to insist that if you have cats, we meet somewhere else.

Still Interested?

If you are interested in tutoring, please email me and we can discuss things further. Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I'm looking forward to meeting you! Please PM me or email me at:

[email]serv-212805298@craigslist.org[/email]