To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Is hip hop dead?

edited April 2007 in General
It's getting so bad that Jay-Z had to come out retirement and Nas titled his last album, "Hip Hop is Dead". It seems that rappers are rapping for their record companies instead of for themselves. I catch myself listening to more old stuff now, b/c 95% of the stuff out right now is garbage. I can't listen to another rapper talking about how big his rims are or how iced out his grill is.

Comments

• edited March 2007
    I can't listen to another rapper talking about how big his rims are or how iced out his grill is.
    Agreed... however I hit my limit the first time I heard someone talk about those things. :wink:
  • edited March 2007
    There is some good stuff out. Young Jeezy and TI is not too bad.

On the other hand, I didn't think Nas and Jay-z latest album is that great.
  • edited March 2007
    i know charmillionaire is stepping up his game, hes got some good albums/mixtapes
  • edited March 2007
    Hip-hop died when 2Pac got shot, end of story.
  • edited March 2007
    Id say its pretty much dead as we know it...itll still be around but it probably won't have as large of a mainstream impact as it did for the last decade...there are some really good albums from the 90s that I could easily listen to all the time...

dr. dre - chronic 2001
    tupac - all eyez on me
    50 cent - get rich or die trying
    nelly - country grammar
    eminem - marshal mathers lp

...you know an albums good when you don't have to skip through any of the songs
  • edited March 2007
    Insatiable said:
    Hip-hop died when 2Pac got shot, end of story.
    fuckin rightz
  • edited March 2007
    i think of hip hop as more of a culture rather than a music genre

if u are talking about rap music specifically, then i would agree rap is fading a little, but i voted no for the statement is hip hop dead

and nas + jayz latest albums were both quite good imo, better than most of the stuf (rap) thats out recently
  • edited March 2007
    No man, rap's not dead. Just don't listen to the mainstream crap, those are way too played out. There are some rappers that doesn't talk about blingblings and bitches. They don't get that much play time on TV and radio because blingbling and bitches is "in" right now.
  • Pro
    edited March 2007
    ballin!
  • edited April 2007
    RUN DMC!

Leave a Comment