To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

how long should one run on the TREADMILL

edited March 2007 in General
hello folks,:omg:
There is always one question in my mind that how long should I stay on treadmill ?
I don;t run to burn calories, but to remain fit or exercise. While on treadmill I only do running for
15-20 minutes at the speed of 6. Well If I gave a look around usually ppl run for
1 or 1/2 an hour. Some time I had a feeling of not being fit.
I like to prefer stairmaster more. I also feel that runing on track is much better than treadmill.
wuts your view bout it
RUN LOLA RUN (lol):teeth:

Comments

• edited March 2007
    I've heard you should run for at least 30 mins. The first 10-15 min on the treadmill is only a warm up.
  • edited March 2007
    from 15mins to 30+ depending on if you plan on doin stuf like lifting or other types of workout
  • edited March 2007
    I guess it would depend on what your goals are. Usually running is just part of your overall fitness routine which would include lifting weights, as well as your diet. Are you trying to lose weight or gain weight? or are you training for a specific event...
  • edited March 2007
    Fat loss: 5-10 warm-up, 20 minutes fairly intense.

Endurance/cardio: 5-10 warm-up, maybe 30-40+ minutes, not as intense, since you may be going for endurance.

Stretching is an absolute must, I cannot stress that enough!

Good to run at the beginning of a workout and then go on to weights for considerable fat-loss results!

P.S. Personally, I prefer the elliptical trainer--less stress on the knees and it gets your whole body moving if you're using the one with the moving handles.
  • edited March 2007
    i lift weights, running is just to warm me up to a certain heart rate, for me, about 145-160

1.5 mins 3.0 walk
    1.5mins 5.5 jog
    1 min 9.0 run
    1 min 3.0 cooldown walk
  • edited March 2007
    thnx
    I like your points
  • edited March 2007
    illicit said:
    i lift weights, running is just to warm me up to a certain heart rate, for me, about 145-160

1.5 mins 3.0 walk
    1.5mins 5.5 jog
    1 min 9.0 run
    1 min 3.0 cooldown walk

keep in mind this is not for cardio or anything to do with weightloss because im trying to gain weight, so strictly warmup.
  • edited March 2007
    I like to warm up with a little bit of running and then do weight lifting. But in the summers when I don't have access to a gym, I go running every evening to stay in shape.

Leave a Comment