To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

FAO: Mods and Admin

edited March 2007 in General
I'm curious as to why my thread was locked in the love life forum....it obviously didnt seem to be fit in your eyes and im curious as to why this is.

I started a thread that was to be a general discussion among the posters on here. Id like to know what threads you see to be "acceptable" to post.

I'm not trying to stir any trouble by making this thread here, i am just curious.

Thank you.

Comments

• edited March 2007
    I was gonna start this threat and ask too. I mean, c'mon; no one was getting personal or anything and everyone was having fun. Just cos it was about something more sensitive it got locked? =/

seems a little... weird?
  • edited March 2007
    This will have to go through Raize, because it wasn't me that locked it.
  • edited March 2007
    Thanks Mengs, my point exactly....its kinda like censorship and thats not really fair if you ask me. Everyone was just having fun...there was nothing really bad about the thread at all.

If a thread like THAT gets locked, what about a thread that deals with other issues that are FAR more sensitive?
  • edited March 2007
    Thanks for posting baby e, I actually think that was a really good question. From time to time, if a thread begins to take on a derogatory tone, we believe it is in the best interest of the members to lock the thread until everyone cools down a little. In this case, however, a member of the team accidentally deleted the thread in question. We would like to apologize for this and assure you that it will not happen again.

We definitely don't believe in censorship on TalkSFU or anywhere on the 'net for that matter so please don't hesitate to post what is on your mind.
  • edited March 2007
    doh! oh well accidents happen.. the admins do good work, we still <3 haha

shame i never got a chance to read the whole thread tho :x
  • edited March 2007
    Raize said:
    I actually think that was a really good question. From time to time, if a thread begins to take on a derogatory tone, we believe it is in the best interest of the members to lock the thread until everyone cools down a little.
    How about we have a category similar to revscene's FIGHT CLUB, basically topics that go off wildly, and under the conditions that it's in that category of threads ' fight club '. it's a free for all ( speak your mind ) just keep in mind that it's all for a discussion, not to start a fight/ brawl with someone
  • edited March 2007
    I think that's a bad idea.

Go look at the DiscoverVancouver forums, they went easy on moderation and now I can't even find info on a good dentist in Vancouver without having to read racist or perverted comments. Seriously, go look. It's a nightmare over there.

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to respect each other on these forums... but that doesn't mean hardcore censorship that stifles discussion. It seems to me that there is a pretty good balance. People who were confused about a thread being locked, asked questions and were answered. No hard feelings and we all learned a little from the experience.
  • edited March 2007
    I actually think that "Fight Club" forum is a good idea....you can move threads there if they get out of hand and people can just state their opinions as they please.

Thanks for the explanation Raize, I appreciate it. I just always think that its good to speak whats on our mind. One other forum im on, it gets pretty heated sometimes, and yah, its not always best to be like that, but at least you dont have to tip toe around other people's feelings all the time.
  • edited March 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    I think that's a bad idea.

is discover vancouver populated with a good group of members like us?

do they have an active moderator team?

the way i see it, we obviously have an educated good group here whereas discover vancouver harbours anyone that wishes to show up there.
    as well we definitely have an active moderator team, an example would be you mally, in addition to our new modteam member imelting.
  • edited March 2007
    I've been on discover vancouver before but that forum is completely useless whereas talksfu actually has a lot of useful information and discussions going on...can't really compare the two. You don't even have to register to post there :S
  • edited March 2007
    I haven't seen any posts or threads lately that would necessitate the need for a "fight club."

Apart from deleting spam and moving threads, I don't have the need to do much user moderation. I haven't had to edit a post or delete a thread in a loooong time.

There have been some great discussions happening in the Think Tank in the past few months, if anyone is looking to debate.
  • edited March 2007
    im a bit indifferent on a free for all forum.. havnt seen one that really 'works' in a forum setting myself, but i dont use revscene so i cant comment on that

Leave a Comment