To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

When people say you look smart does it imply your unattractive or attractive?

edited March 2007 in General
Some people get a "You look smart" type of compliment, and in psychology books, it's stated that attractive people are stereotyped as smart as one of their attributes. However, I know some are also stereotyped as dumb (but it may have to do more with the way they dress in this case or present themselves). But, then what are ugly people sterotyped as? Anyway, what do you think?

Comments

• edited March 2007
    ...ppl wont say "You look ugly" or "You look dumb"....unless they hate u

i see it as more of a opener of a conversation
  • edited March 2007
    CollegeDude said:
    But, then what are ugly people sterotyped as?
    isnt that the classic, 'she has a nice personality'
  • edited March 2007
    I dunno, but I get it a lot more when I am wearing my glasses.
  • edited March 2007
    It could be a compliment in certain situations, but generally I think people use it to stay in the middle, so they're not saying, "you look like a nerd" or "you look hot." Because I know if someone wore glasses and looked really attractive I would just use the word "sexy" and not "smart." XD
  • edited March 2007
    i suppose 'u look smart' is easier to say to a some1, than 'u look sexy' without coming off lookin too forward /shrug
  • edited March 2007
    No it doesn't..

You guys are over analyzing...
    "You look smart" means what it sounds.

It mean you look like a nerd but may not necessarily mean you're ugly.
  • edited March 2007
    agree with tinana... gotta give some credit to literal meanings.. otherwise we're all going to be talking in codes or trying to find the underlying meanings in our convos constantly.. it gets tiring sometimes..

just take the comment at surface value because in most cases that's what people mean.. unless they're being sarcastic abt it.. =P

Leave a Comment