To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Walmart: Success at the sacrifice of human capital?

edited March 2007 in General
Walmart in many ways has shaped the American Economy, but only at the expense of its employees. The store pulls in billions, yet they pay their employees minimum wage. Yes, they deliver low prices which benefit the consumer....but where is the balance?

Comments

• edited March 2007
    maximize their profit? lol
  • edited March 2007
    LOTS of places pay their employees minimum wage. And screw them over in many other ways too. For example, they'll hire you part time, then work you 39 hours a week so you aren't quite full time and can't get benefits, time off, better pay, etc.

I've also been promoted to supervisor position, etc, and many places give you like 25 cent raise and then expect you to do so much more.

WalMart definitely isn't the only awful employer, there are many more, but I see how they get so much attention as they are so BIG!
  • edited March 2007
    I've noticed there are like no Walmarts here in Van/Burnaby...

I've seen like.. one :S

Back in Calgary, Walmarts are EVERYWHERE.... There are at least .. 6-7?? in Calgary
  • edited March 2007
    wow that many

i thought i heard rumblings of a walmart opening near downtown here, think some lobby groups might have shot it down.. wasnt really following, but im sure its prob still in the works
  • edited March 2007
    There's one in Lougheed Mall.
  • edited March 2007
    There was supposed to be one built on Southeast Marine Drive but it got shot down due to environmental issues. They then redesigned the whole building to make it more eco-friendly, with solar panels on the roof and everything but they got shot down again due to a fear that they would have a detrimental affect on smaller local businesses.

Walmart may be a big employer but it is no better than other corporations in that their job is to maximize profit and minimize their costs. Thats all employees are in their eyes... a cost. In the business world, for an employee to be worth 8$ an hour, they have to be making you double that for it to be worth keeping them.

Anyways, in terms of balance... the reason theirs no balance is because all the profits are going into the pockets of the shareholders and owners of the company...at the expense of employees and consumers alike.
  • edited March 2007
    Ya Wal-Mart's crazy,

Its the biggest business in the US and 2 of the women from the Walton family are on the 'Top Ten Richest Women in the World' but haha John Walton, the main man I guess you could say isn't even on the 'Top Ten Men'
  • edited March 2007
    Money makes the world turn, look at mcdonalds, 99 billion served everyday, yet uonly get paid 8.50 to start right, atleas the waltons have been successful, their family owns like 6 spots on forbes richest....

Leave a Comment