To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Daylight Savings Time This Weekend

edited March 2007 in General
I thought we weren't making the move until next year but looks like we are following suit with the US.

Daylight Savings is changing this weekend. We've had to apply the update from Microsoft on all of our machines.

I'm pretty sure Apple has one too but the update for Windows is at:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst

So it's 3 weeks earlier in the spring and 1 week later in the fall.

More information can be found here.

Comments

• edited March 2007
    nOOOOOOOO not that one hour of sleep......
  • edited March 2007
    Looks like a lot of people are gonna be late for school/work next week.
  • edited March 2007
    Ah, bloody hell. I hate the changeover to daylight savings. The one good thing is it's not as close to final exams when we switch, so we'll have had some time to get used to the switchover.
  • edited March 2007
    I don't know why everyone panics so much over the switchover... Just watch one less hour of TV... It's not like your life is getting any shorter!

Personally, I like that it's light when I get home from school. It gets so depressing over the long, dark winter!
  • edited March 2007
    I'd be happy if we stayed on standard time all year round. These days with the Internet and computers, is there any REAL reason to insist that we slavishly manipulate our clocks to somehow "maximize daylight"? (hint: The number of hours in which the sun stays in the sky will be the same before and after daylight savings)

http://www.standardtime.com

for the win. :P
  • edited March 2007
    Nyeh, it doesn't bother me at all to switch them. And things like computers update themselves so I'm not really "slavishly manipulating" anything!

I'll be sure to "write my congress person"... :wink:

I think there are a lot bigger problems that need tending to before we start worrying about clocks.
  • Pro
    edited March 2007
    i don't see how this would help conserve energy?
  • edited March 2007
    As recently as the late 1970s, it probably would have, because changing the time which we associate with sunrise means that we shift around how much energy we use. Traditionally people tend to kill the heat at night and crank it in the day, so an hour's less heating all 'round adds up to a lot.

Thing is, today, we work all hours more than we used to so energy consumption is diffused more throughout the day and less concentrated in a "9 to 5" type rush. So the savings as touted wouldn't be as great, anyway.
  • Pro
    edited March 2007
    and i would think that we use more energy when we're awake rather than when we sleep heh
  • edited March 2007
    There's no need for daylight savings time. The whole thing is just dumb.
  • edited March 2007
    causes more trouble than its worth imo

Leave a Comment