To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Whats the deal with Windows Vista?

edited March 2007 in General
Has anyone actually installed Windows Vista yet? I haven't really had a chance to check it out but now that my windows xp comp is slowing down with viruses and stuff, I'm beginning to think twice before I do any banking etc. Is vista safer, better or more efficient? Or is it the same windows with a new look?

Comments

• edited March 2007
    I installed it a while back (January?) when the RTM version was out and about on the net, and I didn't like it too much. Sure, it looked snazzy, but if you've seen a Mac interface, there aren't many ooohs and ahhhs to be had anymore. It's definitely much more of a resource hog than Windows XP, and as far as I was concerned, all of that extra "security" stuff running in the background was annoying and just a waste of valuable resources.

I'd just stick with XP for now, until a Vista service pack gets released, at least. I used Vista for all of 2 days, and went back to XP.
  • edited March 2007
    Windows vista is sooo hot
  • edited March 2007
    Magnificent_Bastard said:
    I installed it a while back (January?) when the RTM version was out and about on the net, and I didn't like it too much. Sure, it looked snazzy, but if you've seen a Mac interface, there aren't many ooohs and ahhhs to be had anymore. It's definitely much more of a resource hog than Windows XP, and as far as I was concerned, all of that extra "security" stuff running in the background was annoying and just a waste of valuable resources.

I'd just stick with XP for now, until a Vista service pack gets released, at least. I used Vista for all of 2 days, and went back to XP.
    Thanks MB, exactly what I needed to know

...polichic, not so much but thanks for the enthousiasm lol
  • edited March 2007
    I was hoping this thread resembled a Jerry Seinfeld bit... ah well...

If you're having a problem with viruses, download AVG for free from http://free.grisoft.com. It's a great virus scanner!
  • edited March 2007
    I personally think that Vista is a flop... I mean, everytime a new opertaing system comes out there's quite a bit of talk about it, but not so much with Vista... Don't get me wrong, there were, just not ALOT... I mean, I've heard bigger news on Linux (and now half of you going "what's Linux?" :D).

For an operating system that comes out once every, what? 7yrs? there's really not a big difference. Some changes with the DirectX etc etc. but I don't think it's worth it. Just a lot more fancy graphics that eat up a lot more memory. Totally not impressed =/
  • edited March 2007
    I fiddled with Vista for a bit and I was like, "meh". XP Pro seems to be a pretty solid piece of work (it should be, with Microsoft spending 5 years issuing security updates for the damn thing :tongue: ) these days.

The student version of XP Pro and the mid-range Vista are almost the same price, though, at the computer store.
  • edited March 2007
    PoliChic87 said:
    Windows vista is sooo hot
    You would love my laptop then:angel:
  • Pro
    edited March 2007
    it would slow down your comp a lot more!
  • edited March 2007
    Downloaded Vista as a beta version or smth. Installed into virtual computer. Deleted it after 10 minutes.
  • edited March 2007
    untitledka6.jpg

aesthetically appealing.annoying at times to get used to it.
    this 30second clip explains the annoyances, i've gotten over the compatibility issues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuqZ8AqmLPY
  • edited March 2007
    Mine looks just as good, and im running XP...illicit, personally i dont wanna get into the vista game until microsoft gets all their bugs fixed. Thats the shitty thing about microsoft, they always use the consumer as the guinea pig, its not usually until like SP2 that they work everything out....
  • edited March 2007
    Is the purpose just to make your PC desktop look like a Mac desktop?!
  • edited March 2007
    clutch_king - yeah, I'm running XP Pro (legitimately, actually), but I'd rather not get the student version of Vista until they work the kinks out. Maybe when I get a Core 2 Duo next year, or whatever AMD's equivalent will be. Meh.
  • edited March 2007
    no the purpose is to make it more "aesthetically pleasing", if it werent for this, illicit wouldnt've created a thread dedicated to this lmfao.
  • edited March 2007
    clutch_king said:
    no the purpose is to make it more "aesthetically pleasing", if it werent for this, illicit wouldnt've created a thread dedicated to this lmfao.
    i didn't make the thread.
  • edited March 2007
    dude, yeh u did, u made a thread called how to make ure desktop pretty....thats it, im not giving u a ride to school tomorrow
  • edited March 2007
    Personally I love Vista. I've been running on my laptop since it was released to manufacturing last November and haven't had any serious problems. Most of the problems people encounter are due to the fact that Microsoft has finally redesigned some core features of the OS and programs that used to take advantage of "hack" (undocumented, non-standard) ways of doing thing suddenly don't work because Microsoft implemented the features the right way.

The security features (i.e. the UAC prompts) don't bother me at all since my previous lappy was a Mac and that thing is equally annoying (if not more, because it asks for your password all the time). Plus, over time, even those security popups will go away as programmers get there act together and start realizing that they don't need to demand full access to your computer just to play a game :smile:.

I will say this: Every single complaint I have heard about Vista is because of an application having a problem, not the core Operating System. So maybe its worth waiting a few months, but not because of Microsoft. Vista is cleaner, more reliable, and more powerful than XP by far, but because Microsoft has started taking a stand and putting security and reliability above backward compatibility, some poorly-written applications have troubles.

Still, I only have the odd problem with applications (Microsoft still did a good job with backwards compatibility considering the underlying changes) and I find that if there are any issues, either set the compatibility settings to Windows XP (right click the Shortcut, then Properties, Compatibility) or just google "Your App Here + Vista".

I'm not saying everyone should jump up and buy Vista, but please don't believe everything you read. There's a lot of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) around everything Microsoft does, and most of it is biased (one way or the other).
  • edited March 2007
    don't need to buy vista anymore, download it and theres cracks for the x86 and x64,even for ultimate.

my x86 ultimate has been fully activated and branded with any OEM logo. this is the time to upgrade, give me a shout and i can hook you up with the right information ;)
  • edited March 2007
    Actually, I can't use Vista. It turns out that a rather popular game, called Freelancer (well, it's a few years old but people still play it), doesn't work properly on Vista unless you disable a LOT of the security stuff that's in the OS.

So, will be staying with my XP Pro, thanks. :teeth:

Leave a Comment