To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Telus Internet w/Free Dell Computer

edited March 2007 in General
Know anyone who has signed up with Telus' new promotion - High Speed Internet for $40.95 per month (3 Year contract) and get a free DELL Computer?

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Where did you hear about this promotion? I can't seem to find it on their website. I think the free computer was last year?

Looks like they are giving away a digital camera instead.
  • edited March 2007
    Yup, it's a free Digital Camera now.

The free computer offer ended a while back. Basically, they gave you a $400 credit towards a Dell computer, which needed to be purchased online, from what I know. Seeing as how their cheapest computer at the time was $399, they advertised it as a free computer. Keep in mind that you still have to pay the taxes on this "free" computer, but it's still a good deal if you don't mind signing up for 3 years.

I'd still take a shitty computer over a digital camera though, too bad the promo is over.
  • edited March 2007
    From what I was reading online, if you don't already have a Telus cell phone or long distance, you have to pay an extra $5 per month. So that makes $45.95 per month for 36 months.

Shaw gives you 1 month free, $29.95 for 6 months, then $38.95 per month after that (if you have your own modem)

3 years with Telus costs $1654.20 (36x$45.95)
    3 years with Shaw costs $1309.25 (6x$29.95=$179.70, 29x$43.95=$1129.55)

The good thing about Shaw (in addition to saving $345) is that you aren't hooked into a contract. If you cancel your Telus contract before the 3 years is up, they make you pay for that crappy digital camera. I think they charge $450, too. Laaaame.

I'm not a fan of contracts with companies. They don't make them because they are doing YOU any favours!
  • edited March 2007
    Agreed.

Hell, I work for Telus, and I use Shaw cable and internet at home, and I have a Rogers cell phone.....but shhhh...don't tell anybody.
  • edited March 2007
    I don't like Telus, their customer service and overall quality of phones really sucks
  • edited March 2007
    That blows! I was having dreams of owning an brand new Dell computer theres no other way I can afford a new one lol... I was kinda sketch about signing that contract to be honest, I havne't had the best of experiences with Telus thanks for the 411
  • edited March 2007
    You can still have a computer AND a contract AND overpay for it. Just get a payment plan computer at Futureshop or Staples. :wink:

I did that once and I will NEVERRR do it again. Yiikes. By the time I was done paying for the computer, the damn thing was obsolete and I'd payed for it about 3 times over. Great deal... haha
  • edited March 2007
    Yeah, better to get a machine from an independent retailer... here's a couple examples:

http://www.a-power.com/product.php?productid=2514&cat=457&page=1

A Pentium D 820 is pretty darn spiffy if you ask me. :smile: You can probably add your own graphics card at the time of purchase. The only downside is that system is a DDR system, not DDR2, and has an AGP slot.

http://www.a-power.com/product.php?productid=2516&cat=458&page=1

The above system is DDR2, and the integrated graphics are probably good enough to get away without needing a graphics card, but again, if you want one you could probably specify it at the time of purchase.

My recommendation?

If you want a real budget system, build yourself a Celeron box with a motherboard that can take a Core 2 Duo, and then when you have money down the road, replace the CPU and give the Celeron to your mom or something. :tongue:

Leave a Comment