To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Where to do my taxes?

edited March 2007 in General
Is there any advantage to using some company like H&R block to do your tax returns for you as they should know if you're entitled to such and such a refund, or is it easy enough to know what sorts of things get you tax breaks simply by filling in the form.

For example, if you're married, have an RRSP, have a mortgage, have childred. These are all the sorts of things that can get you tax breaks. If you simply fill in the forms yourself are there sections of each of these sorts of things anyway so either you fill them in if they apply or not if they don't and bingo everything is fine. Or would you need to go off and read a canadian-tax-for-dummies type book to know what you might be entitled to?

Comments

• edited February 2007
    If you're a student the tax filing should be easy for you to do as you most likely have to expense your tuition and put down your income for your part-time job only. Even if you have a family, I think the tax forms should be pretty easy to fill out while writing off the appropriate amounts. I think the government has a help line too if you need assistance so there isn't really any need to do any additional readings.

If you're a business owner, you probably have your own accountant in your payroll. Every single year, my friend who is a Chartered Accountant insists on helping me do my taxes. I would suggest befriending an Accountant to be at SFU therefore you'll get your taxes done for free.
  • edited February 2007
    Get a tax return program that allows you to NetFile or use their online version. They are set up as an interview. If you can read you can do them. After doing your taxes for a few years it pretty much becomes fill in the blanks if you have not had any major life changes.
  • edited February 2007
    There are online programs that are free or you can just purchase something from Staples (or almost any store right now). Like Smartso said, you just answer the questions. They tell you specifically where to look for the numbers you will need.

Also, I saw some signs in the West Mall Complex regarding free tax services. You might want to stick your head in there and see if you can find more info. If I see some tomorrow I'll post back here.
  • edited February 2007
    i believe quicktax online is free for ppl in the lowest income bracket, i saw it on tv the other day, some one was demo'ing it

most of the programs are pretty intuitive, they ask u questions and u just answer them and they put the values in the appropriate places, pretty fool proof heh
  • edited March 2007
    An accounting student might even do your taxes for you for free if they love hand calculatin your tax info. :tongue:

Also, Langara College runs a program where they E-file your taxes for you, and the handy thing is, they carry over your old tuition and education amounts, so if you go back each year you don't even have to worry about your deductions. :smile:
  • edited March 2007
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys! As long as I don't procrastinate too much, I have plenty of options

Leave a Comment