To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

No more class schedule newspaper?

edited March 2007 in General
I seem to remember hearing something about not recieving that newspaper that lists all the classes anymore. Anyone know if we still do? I used to love flipping through that thing trying to figure out what classes to take :(

Comments

• edited February 2007
    really?!
    i doubt they would do that.. they've been sending those newspapers for years and years.. if they were to change it, im sure we would know it by now
  • edited February 2007
    in the course enrollment email, it doesn't mention it, though it does say somethin about downloading the new course schedule pdf, which leads to a dead link atm
  • edited February 2007
    They're not sending out the newspapers anymore.

I'm not too happy about that. I used to do all my course planning on the bus on my way to school.
  • edited February 2007
    Even if they aren't mailing them out, perhaps we are still able to get them from the school?

Or did they stop making them all together?

I agree that it was nice to be able to highlight a few and be able to look at ALL the courses without doing a specific internet search...
  • edited February 2007
    just got this in my email

** Enrollment for Summer term **
    Beginning in Summer 2007, to save paper and postage we will no longer be
    printing and mailing the schedule of classes and exams to all
    undergraduates. You will find everything you need to know for enrollment on
    the Student Services website where you can download a PDF of the current
    schedule. See
    http://students.sfu.ca/enrollment
  • edited February 2007
    Looks there is a PDF version of the class schedules... but it's not a recent version. AND the link is broken. Weird.
  • edited February 2007
    prob not finalized yet im guessing? just keep checkin in the next week or so
  • edited February 2007
    I bet a lot of people will be printing the pdf out (and im sure its pretty big) so its not really going to save paper... it will save them money from printing it though
  • edited February 2007
    I don't think they're concerned with saving paper... probably just postage and time.
  • edited February 2007
    they have money to make an ugly ass logo for the school, but they dont have money to print us class schedules....oooooookay sfu
  • edited February 2007
    they are hoping we will print them off at school @ 11 cents a page! :x
  • edited March 2007
    Meh, even if it wasn't their intention it should save a few trees so I'm fine with it, so long as the site is properly updated.
  • edited March 2007
    just fyi everyone,

http://students.sfu.ca/forms/07summerclasses.pdf

thats the new upcoming course schedule
  • edited March 2007
    They got rid of the paper??? The paper is what i used to find my courses. Save paper, pffft, yah right.

ps - i agree, the logo looks really crappy.
  • edited March 2007
    They got rid of the paper??? The paper is what i used to find my courses.
    Wow, really? Because, personally, I used the motion of the ocean and the position of the stars in the sky.

We all used the paper, duh. But it's hardly that big a deal to use your computer now instead is, you're all ready using the damn thing to post on this board.
  • Pro
    edited March 2007
    pdf's are painfully slow
  • edited March 2007
    you could use gosfu to check out courses, but thats a painful process with all the scrolling and load times as well :S
  • edited March 2007
    Messiah said:
    Wow, really? Because, personally, I used the motion of the ocean and the position of the stars in the sky.

We all used the paper, duh. But it's hardly that big a deal to use your computer now instead is, you're all ready using the damn thing to post on this board.
    Actually, no. I mostly used the website to find my courses, and I was only flipping through the paper when I had to find a substitute for one that was full or wasn't available. I can make-do without the paper pretty easily...

And at least go.SFU has been updated so it looks nicer now!

Leave a Comment