To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Summer Semester - Are You In?

edited February 2007 in General
Who is attending the summer semester this year? I just got my enrollment appointment, so it got me thinking of how quickly it is coming!

I won't be attending because I'm in Thailand from April 21-June 5. Whoooo!

But I will be going through the summers after that until I'm finished.

Who is in for summer semester?

Comments

• edited February 2007
    I just got my enrollment appointment right now , but I don't think I'm going to take classes this summer. I've been going continuously for the past 2 years so I need a break and this way I can work and save up some money for the fall semester...sound like a plan or what haha btw have fun in thailand!
  • edited February 2007
    got my appointment thingy in the email today too and i'll b doin regular courseload.. hav fun in the sun malakaiii!
  • edited February 2007
    i was thinking about taking 1 distant ed english course but.....................dont know now, 5 month vacation sounds nice too
  • edited February 2007
    btw, what are your enrollment dates everyone?
  • edited February 2007
    5:30 PM, March 28
  • edited February 2007
    11:30 AM, March 26, 2007

I have a feeling we've had this discussion before, but what do they base the enrollment date on?
  • edited February 2007
    March 23rd, 5:30 PM. The rumor is they base it on GPAs. I suspect its based on a big bucket where they bob for apples with student numbers on them.
  • edited February 2007
    They base it on CGPA and also how many credits you have.....i think anyway.
  • edited February 2007
    i got april.... if gpa counts...then is a 3 really bad for first year O.o?
  • edited February 2007
    I heard they base it first on whether or not you're a scholarship student, second on what year your in (4ths get first priority, 1sts get last) and then on CGPA. Mine's March 19th at 8:30. I might take Phys but I'm not sure yet.
  • edited February 2007
    I don't know why they don't want to explain exactly where the dates/times come from, but anyway.

As for me, I'll be technically registered at SFU in the summer (grad student), but I'll be going back and forth between there and TRIUMF due to my thesis project.
  • edited February 2007
    i'm taking 3 courses in the summer, which will be nice because i'll occupy myself AND i should have enough time to do social things :)
    registration date: apr 2 :(

for those of you who have experiences with summer registration, do classes fill up that quickly?
    because i hope i'll be able to get my 3 courses for this summer...
  • edited February 2007
    for those of you who have experiences with summer registration, do classes fill up that quickly?
    So-so. It tends to be a bit easier to get into than Fall/Spring but the important classes fill up fast still. The Distance Ed. courses though are usually very easy to get into, which is what I have done the past two times I took classes over the Summer.
  • edited February 2007
    mines on mar 21
  • edited February 2007
    i'm still thinking on it.. but like someone said earlier.. a 5 month break is indeed tempting.. maybe i'll consider taking some DE classes.. =\
  • edited February 2007
    i dont mind school during the summer semester, one good thing is that there are virtually little to no bus lineups for the most part
  • edited February 2007
    Yeah, the school seems like it will be a heck of a lot quieter then, and if you are having a hard time getting into your courses in the regular semesters, you might have a better chance in the summer!

Plus if you plan on taking the summer off to work, it can be hard to find a job because lots of other people do that. Probably better to take off the Spring semester and go to school Summer-Fall. :wink:
  • edited February 2007
    mines on march 23 at 5:30

probably gonna take 2 or 3 classes so i can hurry up and get outta that school

Leave a Comment