To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Jobs and happiness

edited March 2007 in General
I was just doing some soul searching and I realized that money doesnt matter as long as your happy, BUt and its a big one that is if your job is unique. No matter what you do, a white collar job gets repetititve, and boring. All jobs requiring you to create reports, write briefs, solve calculus problems etc. will get tedious and most people loose some drive.

Money helps to motivate us in difficult times, but there needs to be a genuine balance between happiness and compensation. If your so happy in your job but your just getting by it will take away from your happiness.

Now I am thinking that there are a few blue colar jobs that provide excitment that sometimes you can overlook the salary problems.

Jobs such as

- Airforce Pilot
-Fire Fighter
- Police Man
- Special Forces
- Commercial Pilot

If you guys could add to it, let me know.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    hitman
    mafia boss
    professional fighter
    professional gambler
    gamer
  • edited February 2007
    Any job is going to get boring and repetitive after a period of time. This goes for anything and everything. A job, a career, whatever it may be is only this: exchange of your blood and sweat for $$$.

However, the novelty factor is different for each job. Let's take for example, being an investment banker. The novelty of working 80+ hours a week, actually more like 100, is going to wear off fast. However, perhaps being a movie star will give "happiness" to a person for many years. That is, unless the star eventually grows tired of performing or getting harassed by paparazzi. This goes for directors as well. Why do you see film directors make 1 or 2 hit movies before their stuff becomes really crappy? They have passion in the beginning of their career, but then they just do it for the money after they've done all that there is to do. Look at Brian de Palma, Marlon Brando, etc.
  • edited February 2007
    Not everyone does things for money.

People working in the most satisfying jobs may not get paid the best wages, but their work is rewarding enough. Money can only buy so many things...
  • edited February 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    Money can only buy so many things...
    yet we need cash to buy lunch
  • edited February 2007
    If you're going without lunch, you have more problems than job satisfaction.
  • edited March 2007
    I would rather fix cars for a living but right now I'm working on my career in wealth & asset management. Maybe, one day I'll have enough money to open my own car shop and I can take it from there.
  • edited March 2007

Leave a Comment